Tantallon Castle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Saw two Kestrels whilst driving down the M9 there is a wee pond just where the rd splits at the airport/newbridge roundabout. One was hover feeding and the other was on a fence post watching. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/k/kestrel/food_and_hunting.asp

The walk around Tantallon catsle was eerie and the beaches have a lot to look at/for inc. many birds. A trip around North Berwick law is always good with plenty of birds of prey about although the Sea Bird Centre was packed out so did not go in. Eider duck down was used in the Castle bed mattreses, one down one straw. Eiders were caught from the Bass Rock just offshore.

After hearing a radio scotland story about the recent spotting of many Fish Eagles around the area, was hoping to spot some.
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1287392007
http://www.rspb.org.uk/media/releases/details.asp?id=tcm%3A9-162617

Nick

We go down there often for a nice bracing walk, the missus still can't go to to the very top of the castle, she freaks, saying that I can only stay up there for a few mins myself( very high & doesnt feel like your standing on much..lol).
I was also gonna look into the woods just down the coast from this for an evenings quick camp.

Tree

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Treeclipper - there are quite a few places to camp out down that way...i usually get out every few weeks and it's only 45 mins from Edinburgh centre. Just past Tyningham theres a road leading up to a farm and small car park. From there its a 10 minute walk to either of the areas where you can camp. One part will take tents too....the other is only suitable for hammock in the trees just by the sea...also lots more wood that way for the fire we make on the rocks just above the high tide mark. The best area is just down from a log cabin in a small wooded area right by the beach.

I've got some pics posted here.http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4580 These were taken in the wooded area just by the log cabin.

Usually theres 2 or 3 of us...or sometimes I'll head down on my own. Can let you know next time i'm planning going if you fancy coming along.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Photos

The castle

PICT1421.jpg

PICT1424.jpg

Bass rock
PICT1426.jpg

PICT1428.jpg

Towards Dunbar
PICT1430.jpg

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Was out today, bad back so a wee walk up Ben Cleuch then off to the Argaty Hide for Red kite viewing. I stopped at the David Stirling memorial, being Remembrance day, and saw a Red Kite flying around close by. So skipped the hide. On the way in were two trucks full of cut Xmas trees in white netting, luckily they saw me taking a photo of the Peacock and let it past.

PICT1435.jpg

PICT1434.jpg

PICT1437.jpg

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Treeclipper - there are quite a few places to camp out down that way...i usually get out every few weeks and it's only 45 mins from Edinburgh centre. Just past Tyningham theres a road leading up to a farm and small car park.

There was Travellers in the John Muir Park car park and a guy getting Lurchers to tank around the woods, put me off , too much rubbish and busy. The surfers were enjoying the swell.

Nick

Usually theres 2 or 3 of us...or sometimes I'll head down on my own. Can let you know next time i'm planning going if you fancy coming along.

That would be great, my mate Chris & I are just really getting into this & having others that we can go with is just what we need especially so local (Chris is from Edinburgh , me just outside).

I just have to recover from my op from last week & when fit again would be raring to go :)

Tree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE