Tan Hill Pub

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's not exactly bushcrafting, but a bunch of us met up at the Tan Hill pub, cycling from various locations (and distances). Most staying in a bunkhouse in the pub, but some camped:
37557188101_1a406affc0_o.jpg

There is flat ground for about 6-8 small tents. It is windswept, but firm ground (pegs don't go in far so make sure you bring sufficient to fully peg out). Pub has a toilet accessible from the outside and showers. Camping cost is a fiver's donation to a charity, put the money in a jar on the bar.
Breakfast available from the pub if you book it the night before. They discourage people from using stoves by the tents but the current landlord is very laid back so I doubt any fuss would be made if someone brewed up, just be discrete.
It is a great location if you are walking or cycling, either on or off road. Views are pretty fine.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Highest pub in Britain :) I remember calling in there when on the Pennine way, it was sometime in the afternoon and had two pints - it was about this time of year too.

Edit....

I've remembered that I walked on to Baldersdale and found a hostel with a note pinned to the door saying "be back Thursday" After sitting at a picnic bench and having a brew for half an hour two other people came up and after a little conversation they informed me it was indeed Thursday and after another hour or so the hostel care taker [? - not sure what they're called] arrived to open up. So I had an impromptu night inside with someone else cooking a meal for me all for the princely sum of £7 for the bed £5 for dinner and £2 for a cooked breakfast the next day. IIRC the also had a wall of hats, which had been various hats found by the care taker [or donated to the hostel] and nailed to the wall, there was quite a collection.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've been there; it's perishing cold up there. Big wide skies though :D

M
You got that right. It wasn't even cold weather and my fingers were numb by the time I'd got my tent up.

We are planning a repeat event in December. Or maybe February. I think it is an excuse for people to rock out the spiked tyres (they are damn hard work though).

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Not 'that' far from me, we camped not to far away a month or so back at Gunnerside, great countryside :) I always fancied a 'posh' camp at the pub though, may do it soon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE