Tamarack Campcraft Weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
This course was more than I expected and I am very pleased to have been part of it. I arrived at base camp at about 7:45pm with my Dad where we met the other students, 2 boys and the principal instructors Father. Having been on a previous course with Tamarack I knew the instructors who are great people who live for their jobs. After tea we all had a relaxing evening sitting round the campfire.

The next day we each received a frost Mora Training knife and a Firesteel. We were given instruction on safe use of cutting tools and then practised the different grips and techniques. After being shown firelighting we split into two groups and each made a fire. we were then shown how to make pothangers which we constructed over our fires. Next was bread which both groups made and cooked over their fires. After lunch we were given bashas to put up and were shown the various knots needed.we prepared salmon and trout for cooking (which was very nice) and then used our digging sticks to find oak roots. Using the Oak roots we made worm baskets using a grass I can't remember the name of.

In the evening we went out to the lake and done some hobo fishing, nobody caught anything, I very nearly did but the fish jumped off the hook.

The next day we moved to the other side of the lake and were given some ingredients. We split into 2 groups and had to set up a shelter, get a fire going and then bake bread and make a soup for the instructors and ourselves. While my dad put the basha up I got the fire going using birch bark scrapings and then the peelings for tinder.
Before lunch the instructors showed us a peg trap which we each had a go at making.

After a wonderful lunch we broke camp and had a short walk to our cars which signalled the end of a brilliant, unforgettable weekend where I learn't much.

Tamarack are great people and if you haven't been on a course with them yet then check them out. :You_Rock_ :biggthump

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Heres a picture of the Salmon and chicken we cooked and had for tea

fb9302b1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE