Taking The High Road...

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, it's now official: I've just heard from UCAS that I have a guaranteed place at Glasgow Caledonian University for 4 years, starting September. I finish my job of 17 years on 29th May, do some exams, recce Glasgow in late June, and hopefully we move up there in August. We're going to be a hell of a lot poorer but we have plenty of reasons for this big change in lifestyle, not least an improvement in quality of life and more time to spend together.

I've kept a close eye on the posts talking about the Glasgow area and the Western Coast & Isles of Scotland and I'm really looking forward to getting out and about. Keep it up with the 'photo-stories' as they're all giving me some excellent ideas.

Looking forward to sampling a different part of the country and maybe meeting some of the Scottish contingent - I've heard so many good things about the area.

:D :D :D :D :D

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Wow! Well done and all the best for the leap! Poole to Glasgow is a massive difference, not that I've spent a great deal of time in either (mostly been visiting/passing through).

I guess you'll be a mature student then. Well when I went to uni it was always the mature students who came out with the 1st's or 2:1's because they were the ones who were used to working! :lmao:

Seriously though, have a good time and enjoy it!

Chris

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
You can't begin to understand how much I admire your bravery at making such a change. I really hope things work out for you and that you get what you want. :)

Good luck

Martin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well done :D

We'll add your name to the . "must let so and so know" lists :cool:

Song of the Paddle folks fair get about too, some of their blogs about Scotland are beautiful :)

cheers,
M

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Your a brave man taking on such a change in direction, but I reckon you'll reap the benifits for your spare time if not your professional time. Well done on getting into uni and look forward to seeing you at one of our meets in the not too distant future.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
So what course you doing ? I'm an ex Caley student, failed the CAE Degree there in the early 90s.

Nick
Was it Mechatronics II by any chance? I done the same degree a couple of years after you and only seven of us graduated first time through. I barely squeezed through the control systems stuff and made up a lot on the mech. eng. and project bits.

Caley's the polite term. I've heard it called the "See You". :D

Have a good one Mike. Maybe catch you around. :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm moving from a kind of project management & communications engineering background to...wait for it...dietetics!

I firmly believe that if you're going to leave your job, then don't go and do the same thing somewhere else - no point in leaving if you're going to do that. Anyway, it's something that I've been looking into for about 5 years and I've worked really hard to gain a place whilst working full time, etc.

Just goes to show that if you want something enough...

Anyway, yes, I will be a 'mature' student (heh-heh!) but, I was thinking about this the other day: when I did my first degree, we always used to think that the mature students sat down at the front with the international students were the losers! And now, that'll be me! Hurray! I'm officially a loser!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE