Symbols on trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mason

Jul 25, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the following text / symbols mean in my local woods.

The first one I'm assuming is for the forestry commission. They have removed a section of the bark from a whole line of trees:

http://www.pbase.com/masonnet/image/86828853

The second is a symbol of some kind which has been painted on two trees either side of the path. I guess its children playing.......

http://www.pbase.com/masonnet/image/86828936

Sorry for the poor quality, I only had my phone with me.

Cheers all.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I was a land surveyor for many years in the Great Northwoods of NE United States. Between property markers, which were often miles apart, we used axes to blaze the sides of trees that were within five or so feet of the property line as follows:

A single blaze means the property line passes on that side of the tree, usually within 5 feet or so.

As you walk down the line, a blaze in the center of a tree means the line passes through that tree.

As you walk down the line, a blaze located between the center of the tree and the right or left hand side means the property line hits either side of that tree.

A triple blaze on a tree faces in the direction of a nearby boundary post, iron pipe, or pile of stones etc that denotes the propery corner.

Usually we also painted the blazes a specific color.

Especially before the advent of GPS, the blaze line would typically be off from the true property line somewhat, since after the survey we often used magnetic compasses to blaze between known points. A number of factors influence compass direction including local attraction caused by iron in the rocks etc.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Thanks for the replys all. I must see what I'm missing and listen to "HIM" :)

I just can't wait to hear what you think. What music do you normally listen to? If it's not gothy / rocky / emo type stuff - run away. Me? I like them. But then I listen to Aiden, MCR, Trivium, Him and a whole load of other angry chappies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE