Sycamore Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice work Mark.

Theres a good degree of uniformity across all those spoons mate. Difficult to achieve when all made by hand. :)

Do you use a template or is it all by eye?

For these i used a template to get the shape as at least four of them are needed as a set of spoons, but apart from that to get the general shape it's all done by eye

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
How do you find the sycamore to carve? I know it's a soft wood and so easier to shape but I've always found it produces little 'threads', obviously something to do with the grain of the wood, when I reached the finishing stages. How do you cope with them?

Lovely set of spoons by the way!

I love carving Sycamore, especially when it's fresh cut, but your right it does tend to 'rip' if your not careful with it, like Hugo said though i carve it all out rough then wait a few days until it's dry before moving on to the fine carving and finishing

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nicely done, particularly good considering you've not used a hook or crook knife:)

cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve,

I did the bulk of the carving with the knife pictured, but used my Ben Orford to do the bowls, sorry should have put that in the opening post

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Tung oil?
can you point us to a link?

Im working on a spoon myself at the moment (its just my second) and I was wondering what to seal it with or if it needs sealing at all

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Here you chaps, sorry for the late reply, been up on the South Downs working and have only just got in

Link to Tung Oil http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-Pure-Tung-Litre-LIBTO1L/dp/B000TAULGO, i get mine from the local hardware store as it's cheaper, Amazon just happened to be one of the first ones to com eup in the list

Info about Tung Oil from the write up on Amazon "Liberon Pure Tung Oil is highly resistant to water, alcohol and food acids. Providing a hardwearing finish, it is ideal for surfaces such as kitchen worktops, tables and all high quality interior wood. Pure Tung Oil, with no added dryers, is a natural, non-toxic product which can be used on toys and objects in contact with food such as salad bowls etc."

Here you chaps, sorry for the late reply, been up on the South Downs working and have only just got in

Link to Tung Oil http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-Pure-Tung-Litre-LIBTO1L/dp/B000TAULGO, i get mine from the local hardware store as it's cheaper, Amazon just happened to be one of the first ones to com eup in the list

Info about Tung Oil from the write up on Amazon "Liberon Pure Tung Oil is highly resistant to water, alcohol and food acids. Providing a hardwearing finish, it is ideal for surfaces such as kitchen worktops, tables and all high quality interior wood. Pure Tung Oil, with no added dryers, is a natural, non-toxic product which can be used on toys and objects in contact with food such as salad bowls etc."

Don't you find it really smelly, I can't help it but it reminds me of the smell of someone who hasn't had a wash for quite a while!? I put some on a bowl I had made and it still smells strong now.

I have immense respect for for skill and your ability to replicate the same form more than once. My efforts are altogether more 'organic'!!!

Leo

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Don't you find it really smelly, I can't help it but it reminds me of the smell of someone who hasn't had a wash for quite a while!? I put some on a bowl I had made and it still smells strong now.

I always think it smells of chip fat, but i know what you mean it does pong for a bit.

I have immense respect for for skill and your ability to replicate the same form more than once. My efforts are altogether more 'organic'!!!

Leo

Cheers mate, it's not difficult to replicate them - honest

adam_myers

Sep 25, 2011
durham
Nice job kepis they look great! I too enjoy carving spoons it's a task that can last a few minuets to pass the time or a good amount of time on to have a pleasing product at the end thanks for sharing made me want to make some now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE