Sycamore Pot

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
During the week i was paring down some Sycamore for a job i was on and thought id save and use some of the smaller pieces to make a bent wood container.

DSCN6982.jpg

The container measures approx 8cm wide by 12cm long and when finished will be just under 4cm in height, the base of the container has also been made from sycamore and is held in place with a smear of wood glue and further strengthened with wooden pegs driven through the sides and into the base.

Once the glue has set, i can set about tidying up the edges and ends, then smoothing it all down with a cabinet scraper, then i just have a lid to carve out and fit, also to be made from Sycamore.

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Very nice work Kepis. Thats the nicest thing I have seen on here for a while. How thick was the strip of sycamore ? and did you have to bend it in stages or did it take that shape naturally ?
Thanks
Eifion

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, was great fun to make.

@ Grey-array - i think im just going to add some felt to the underside and perhaps line the inside of the pot and call it done

@ Perarri - the strip is around 2-3mm thick, i soaked the wood for 24 hours to make it flexible and then carefully bent it to shape, i could also have boiled it to make it more flexible, which would have been quicker and made the wood a bit more flexible, but sometimes it's fun to use just what you have around you, in my case when i did this, a water butt

@ Hugo - could do, but will need to soak the wood to make it flexible, still plenty of water troughs around up there we could use:)

@fishfish - cheers mate, means a bunch coming from your good self, good to see you around again too.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cheers Kepis mate, where we were last week just over the hill I spotted a water tank that was once used for pheasants, that will do. Nice to see some real crafts being posted.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers Kepis mate, where we were last week just over the hill I spotted a water tank that was once used for pheasants, that will do. Nice to see some real crafts being posted.

cheers mate, will have to go and forage that tank next time we are up there.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps.

In the end i didnt bother making a lid as the internal space would have been too limiting, so i added a felt liner to the inside & the underside and made it into a trinket box / coin tray

DSCN6997.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE