Sycamore id, Yew id questions & Birch question

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
The reason the fallen birch was "rotten" is that as a species they are notorious for decaying fast if left out in the weather, within a few weeks or monthes logs left on the floor turn to a sort of crumbly crunchie bar texture, and it is then next to impossible to split, it breaks sideways....in other words its not weather resistant in the same way that eg oak or chestnut are. Ash is another species that has poor weather resistance, great for tool handles though...

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Opposite, alternate branching, Similar buds, But without certainty ONE can only assume that it is of the Acre species. You will find many of the oriental garden varieties of Acre family grow in gardens and all are capable of cross breeding with other Acre species.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
A silly question, perhaps, but does wood perform all the same if it's a young tree? Does it matter at all or could I cut this down and use it for greenwood carving?

Thanks.
Yes it does matter. The growth rings will determine the structure of the material, The possible rise in sap, the early spring you talked about. You WILL get greater shrinkage, shaking etc. Often a bodger will cut, work, store and rework green wood. Worth doing just for the experience. If you get the chance to store a bit or return to the tree in Autumn and try working it again, See for yourself any characteristic changes within that particular wood.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Opposite, alternate branching, Similar buds, But without certainty ONE can only assume that it is of the Acre species. You will find many of the oriental garden varieties of Acre family grow in gardens and all are capable of cross breeding with other Acre species.

Absolutely true. Can I be pedantic and correct your spelling of the genus to Acer though please? Sorry. :eek:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
So we're fairly sure it's of the Acer species? It's Sycamore then indeed?

And thanks everyone for clarification on other things in this thread.

It is 100% certainly, without any shadow of a doubt, a member of the Acer family.

It looks a lot like a Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) but that doesn't definitely identify it as Sycamore, it just identifies it as something that looks like Sycamore, ie. an Acer of some description.

Personally I think that it's more likely than not a Sycamore, but there's every chance I could be wrong.

Clear? :eek:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Absolutely true. Can I be pedantic and correct your spelling of the genus to Acer though please? Sorry. :eek:
No worries, I have been tested & I do need glasses, just haven't got round to buying any. The letter size on this tablet leaves a lot to be desired.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE