Sycamore id, Yew id questions & Birch question

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, I have a few questions.

I would like to know if this is a Sycamore sapling. I was out in the woods today for around two and a half hours trying to find fallen Sycamore with which I could carve my next project, but had no luck. This might sound rather strange but I've never been able to spot Sycamore in all my walks, not at least until I've started scouting for it.

I found these leaves on the ground which looked like Sycamore leaves on my guide and also the bright green buds in Winter.

2sa0xt0.jpg

I'd also like to know if this is indeed a Yew tree. They are quite striking and unique, aren't they? I suspect it is a Yew.

anezo63.jpg

And, lastly, I wonder about the furrowed and cracking bark on many of the fallen birch trees I've seen. I was trying to harvest some for a spoon carving, but they were either all very rotten or dried out. Is the surface like this due to low moisture content?

2uwyp.jpg

Thank you.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks, everyone.

Another question... I saw that the leaves of that very same Sycamore were actually developing, which is rather strange. When does Spring start in the south of England? I assume it's March 20th, but I can't explain seeing open buds and tiny leaves in mid January.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you look around, you will see that most trees have buds ready and waiting for sufficient day-length and warmth to throw out new leaves. Leaves take work and preparation, so the trees generally have their leaf buds ready to go from about now. Likewise all the spring plants are at least through the surface of the soil, just waiting for better weather for them to shoot up and flower.

Nature doesn't care what the date is. Plants just need suitable conditions and they will grow regardless.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Thanks, everyone.

Another question... I saw that the leaves of that very same Sycamore were actually developing, which is rather strange. When does Spring start in the south of England? I assume it's March 20th, but I can't explain seeing open buds and tiny leaves in mid January.

Maybe that particular Sycamore didn't get a calender for Christmas last year :eek:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I've been around trees long enough to not assume at first glance. Indeed the first tree & leaf is of the Acre species, but without a full ID no telling if it is Acer pseudoplatanus, the typical Sycomore introduced to the British isles and now naturalised. Many Acre sp do hybridize.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Spring does not start on march 20th, nature has no calendar, it starts when the conditikns are correct in that area

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm getting water in over the tops of my rubber boots on a regular basis lately; the woodland up here is inundated and will remain so for a long time now, even if it stopped raining tomorrow............

Walk a mile and you use the same energy as would usually get you five!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I was looking at the few trees in my front garden and I came across this young tree with similar buds to that of the Sycamore. This wouldn't be Sycamore, would it? There are no leaves on the ground for me to tell if it is and it's in an odd place. I just noticed the buds.

qt7QCz7.jpg

fJbUwSE.jpg

OTvzbjF.jpg

Thanks.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Yup, that looks like a sycamore as well.

Oh, that's very interesting... I've been looking for Sycamore to make a new wood carving, but I didn't want to cut down that sapling I found in the woods yesterday, but now one's in my garden.

A silly question, perhaps, but does wood perform all the same if it's a young tree? Does it matter at all or could I cut this down and use it for greenwood carving?

Thanks.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
No difference at all that I know of so go get your saw out and chop it down.

Nice thing about that sycamore is you can treat it as a coppicing exercise as well :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thanks, everyone.

Spring is very much a variable concept. Traditionally Spring was heralded by the bloom of the black thorn (sloe), which you can easily spot in the hedge as large areas of white in the next month or so. But with the way the weather is these days, the reality is that it's a very movable target. The snow drops in my garden have been in flower since before Yule, and there are buds on the Oak, Apple, Grape, Hazel, and Blackcurrants in my garden. Where I've been out today, the hedgerows of East Kent are also showing lots of trees in bud. Has spring sprung? Could be. BBC's Springwatch on twitter has been sharing a lot of people's reports of the first signs of spring across the country for the last couple of weeks. This all said, February is usually when things get really cold, so it may be that we get a Winter in February, then another Spring...

March 20th/21st is the Spring Equinox, and while it may be the astronomical start of spring, the reality is that it has very little, if any bearing on the plants outside.

Incidentally, how big a lump of sycamore do you want? I have a few 3-4" diameter chunks left over from a felled tree that I could easily drop in the post.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE