Syc Cherry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Love the colouration in the cherry spoon! And the sycamore spoon is cute. As with all your spoons, I just want to pick them up and hold them.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I love that assymetric symmetry (in moderation) it adds lots of character.Was it how the wood wanted to went, or did you rescue a blunder/munter from disaster? Follansbee does it on many of his spoons, to great effect.
What knife do you use on the inside to get such a good finish? It looks remarkably fresh and crisp, not overworked like mine usually is

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I love that assymetric symmetry (in moderation) it adds lots of character.Was it how the wood wanted to went, or did you rescue a blunder/munter from disaster? Follansbee does it on many of his spoons, to great effect.
What knife do you use on the inside to get such a good finish? It looks remarkably fresh and crisp, not overworked like mine usually is

That's asymmetry by design, originally it was a mistake, but i liked the shape so i made a template for future use, many of my spoons are asymmetric, much prefer them to symmetrical ones, think they have more character, the knife i use to finish is a Ben Orford open curve spoon knife, nothing special, but i keep it beyond scary sharp

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Sometimes the wood itself just "wants to assert itself" and ignore the symmetric thing, I like that. :biggrin:
I just started using a big old scorp I had made about in 1991 by Brian Russell. I used it originally for chair seats, but it works a treat for spoon bowls too as I recently discovered. I think with a bit of practise and technique (and spend time getting a really decent edge) it would do the finish cuts side to side like onion layers. In fact its amazing how fast it is to use (and sounds nice too when its working) :smile:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE