Swiss Volcane Individual Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Injati

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2004
Schleswig-Holstein
Hi there

I'm looking at getting one of these mess kits/cookers, the swiss volcane individual cooker, I was just wondering if anybody else have had any experience with it? Is this a good piece of kit or should I rather stick with the Swedish cooker set?
You can see the Swiss Volcane Cooker @ http://www.exarmy.co.uk/exarmy.htm

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
There's a thread somewhere that mentions this have a search.

If I remember correctly though they are a bit unstable and tend to fall over just as your water's getting warm! Once you put the cup or flask into the top the fiire can't draw the air through so it's hard to keep going especially with poor/damp wood.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I think it's a pile of crud.

Aluminium is useless for a mug, it'll just take the skin off your lips.
It's also totaly unstable. It'll boil water OK with an esbit / greenheat, but it's useless with twigs; you can't get much in there, it's hard to re-stock, and there's zero chimney/furnace pull through effect.

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
I spent £1.99 on one last night..... but hey at least I've got a new cup :roll:

But could be a good puzzle for when your bored, keep a tiny fire going while blowing it to get some air in and not tipping water every where.

I have cut the bottom circle out of mine to fit a Trangia stove in it. It works well.

I keep the flask full of water in the handle next to the chimney to keep it from tipping.

I have not had a problem with it yet.

If you heat up the flask filled with water and then put the cork back in it you can use it to heat your bedroll at night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE