Swiss Tent Heater , Swedish tent heater ?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
would they be safe to use in a tent Ged? if so i might have to pick one up..

It depends on the tent. :)

Personally I would never use such a thing unless the alternative was to die of hypothermia. A hot water bottle in a good sleeping bag is a far better bet IMO.

If it's your typical high street two man ripstop thing with crappy ventilation you'd be out of your mind to use anything like this in it.

Carbon monoxide poisoning has been well covered on this site, those interested can try a search such as

http://www.bing.com/search?q="carbon+monoxide"+site:bushcraftuk.com

I think most parafffin heaters for home use nowadays have a flame snuffer for if the thing gets tipped over, but there are still some about that don't and that could be very dangerous in a tent.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
second thoughts... i think ill leave it! :) im trying to find a good but cheap way of heating a small canvas tent over the winter months! The closest iv got is an ammo box stove..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those (or very close clones) were very common among the Scouts in my youth. We used them in the big nigers and bell tents in Winter. They were also surprisingly good at helping to dry off the canvas after we came home.
We took a gallon of paraffin for a week per heater.

You do need to mind the ventilation though, and they will chuck out water too, but they were very useful bits of kit.
Don't know as I'd use them in a nylon tent though......

I'm sure I saw one at Blochairn carboot sale a couple of months back.

There were better ones, made by the BiAladdin and Tiley lamp folks; those ones came with a parabolic heat reflector, but somehow they never seemed quite as stable :dunno:

Decorum, that's just scary :yikes:

cheers,
Toddy

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Well, if you can't find the right thing you can at least find something sooo wrong that it's almost right ~ and we could have done with the cold blow setting over the weekend :rofl: .
mate that heater made me giggle, there is some stuff on that bay of evil. lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE