Swiss Meta-50 Cookset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I ordered one of these cooksets afew days ago from a german surplus seller on ebay. ( if anyone wants any info PM me and I will pass it on). It arrived this morning so I thought I would do a quick review as I had never herd about them before and I don't think they are that common on this side of europe.
It is brand new and set me back £30 inc postage; which I thought was quite reasonable as all the used ones seem to be going for over this amount.
As far as I am aware it is issued to the Swiss mountain troops as their personal cookers.

the set is comprised of:-
  • Lid
  • Leather retaining strap
  • 2x pans
  • Airated Base/cooker holder
  • windshield
  • Pot holder
  • Pan rim
  • M71 swiss issue alcohol stove

The set up is reminiscent of the well known Swedish trangia, but after abit of google searching it transpires that these cook sets predate the Swedish units.
Unlike the Swedish units which are a rounded bowl shape the Swiss set is cone shaped and lighter.
A clever feature of its shape is that you can cook two things at the same time. Using the pan rim on top of the pan in direct contact with the stove the second pan can be placed on top of the first and then the lid put on top to keep the heat in.

It is made out of aluminium and seem so far to be quite sturdy but it hasn't been out "in the field" yet just used in the garden to test it.

I thought I would do a boil test. It came with a swiss army issue M71 alcohol stove but after a little play I discovered that it will also take a Swedish army issue trangia burner as well.
so I did a comparisson with the two boiling 1L of water in one pan with the lid on.

I thought the alcohol burner would beat the trangia burner initially but it was actually very close.
The M71 did it in 14min 0sec
the tangia burner in 12min 32sec

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE