Swiss army trangia (large one)

Sep 13, 2015
Bedford
Guys,

We are testing the large Swiss Army Trangia against the small
One.

The large one isn't blooming, we started it with a flint and steel and using bio meths as fuel.

Any ideas, wrong fuel? is the internal wick broken ?

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Get a paperclip or similar thin wire and clean out each of the jets, that would be the first thing.

Is this the Swedish Army Trangia you mean - the one that has a larger burner with a broader, broken thread on the lid? If so, I always found it slow to bloom.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
More brass, therefore more heat-sink, takes more time to heat up and vapourise the alcohol. Agree the first thing to do is to clean the jets. Bear in mind that this part was designed to go inside either the Meta-50 or the SAT, and in this configuration reflected heat from the metal around it (and the windshield effect) speeds up the bloom time considerably.

Lastly, for some reason or other, the "experts" on youtube etc all wait for the jets to bloom before putting on the relevant pans. In fact, as soon as the central part lights, stick on the pan and the reflected heat from the bottom of the pan will speed up bloom. THe Meta-50 is insulated from the floor by the set-up. On the SAT, the army trangia sits on the ground. Try to insulate this from the ground in cold weather, as otherwise the ground will leach heat from the burner, delaying the bloom. For lighting in very cold weather, stick a wick of some sort (even a twist of tissue paper will do) into the centre of the burner, and light that.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
More brass, therefore more heat-sink, takes more time to heat up and vapourise the alcohol. Agree the first thing to do is to clean the jets.

One of those 'Why didn't I think of that?' moments there; excellent tip! One of those quality snippets that make this forum such a 'go to' online manual. Thanks mate

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE