Sweeteners?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Wanting to be self-sufficient at a point in the future I find the prospect of drinking only water to put me a little off.

So how well does honey work as a sweetner (and preservative) in lemonade and jams?

Have anyone here actually tried to boil down maple or birch sap to make syrup? Does it store well? Is it good tasting?

Torjus Gaaren

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're better making the boiled down fruit juice spread if you have no sugar. The honey is good but it flavours *everything* with honey. I suppose you could grow sugar beet and produce your own sugar that way. It's a lot of work and fuel to make it properly.
Fruit leathers are a good way of getting the sweetness too. I make fruit syrups for making hot drinks, puddings and the basis for medicines.
I made a small quantity of birch syrup last year; it's not quick, it needs to be watched carefully and even then it's not sweet-sweet. It is good though :) Some of the Canadians and Americans will probably provide better answers thatn I can for the maple syrup.

Cheers,
Toddy

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Honey is twice as sweet as sugar,so you only need half the quantity.If you dont want it to have honey as a dominant flavour,use a more subtle tasting honey such as Acacia.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Thanks for your replies all.

Though it will be in a very small quantity, I am planning on using wild bumblebee honey. They did that in the past around here. Bees doesn't exist naturally here.

Does any of you know if there is any great difference with that type of honey? Taste and properties?

Torjus Gaaren

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No difference, it's all good stuff, *but* the wild bees have very small nests and they will lay the eggs in the same space as the honey cells. You really need to have a good look at a beekeepers site Torjusg; modern hives have queen excluders to stop that.
If there are no native bees :confused: how are you going to get honey anyway?
If it's only for drinking and jams then just gather fruit, simmer it soft, strain it through a coarse mesh and then slowly simmer it until it reduces to a thick treacley paste. It's tasty and needs no sugar or honey to preserve.

atb,
Mary

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't know what it is like elsewhere in Norway, but we didn't see all THAT many bees on our hikes around Telemark. I would think you would be in for a lot more walking to find nests.

If it were in this country, I couldn't condone going and destroying wild bumble bee nests to get sweeteners. I am fairly sure you need a license to handle bees at all, and that there is some form of protection for bumble bees...I am not 100% sure, but it would not surprise me. Overall, the bees in this country are having rather a hard time. Many honey bee hives have problems with mites, and bumble bees are not as numberous as they were even 10 years ago.

Reactions: Toddy

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
C_Claycomb said:
I don't know what it is like elsewhere in Norway, but we didn't see all THAT many bees on our hikes around Telemark. I would think you would be in for a lot more walking to find nests.

If it were in this country, I couldn't condone going and destroying wild bumble bee nests to get sweeteners. I am fairly sure you need a license to handle bees at all, and that there is some form of protection for bumble bees...I am not 100% sure, but it would not surprise me. Overall, the bees in this country are having rather a hard time. Many honey bee hives have problems with mites, and bumble bees are not as numberous as they were even 10 years ago.

Don't know about protection, but I don't think there are any. The places we hiked in wasn't usually prime bumblebee habitat. They are very common, following them to their nests is not easy though.

There may be an indication that there in fact are more bumblebees now than a few years ago. The last years there has been good berry harvests on many species (blueberry, raspberry and a few others I don't know the English names of).

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE