Sweet Chestnut question???

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
When is a good time to gather sweet chestnut, i have found a few trees with the shells split open on the floor, but the nuts inside does not seem to look like they are ready to eat as some of them are a whitish Colour, If it helps I am based in Surrey.
Thanks in advance
Mb

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Generally I'd have said the=at about this time of year would be the season to harvest....

However, the poor excuse of a summer that we've just had is likely to mean that the nuts will not ripen at all and that the trees are shedding them irrespective of their condition.

You might find a few that do ripen but I'm guessing that they'll be small and a few in number.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i have found there seems to be two sizes of chestnut that grow wild, one quite small and the other much larger, i'm not sure why, the larger ones seem to grow on the trees with straighter/taller trunks while those trees that spread out well seem to produce smaller nuts, i'm not sure why or even if its correct its just an observation of the places i know myself, i know of some straight tall trees that produce nuts aprox 4cm in size but generally most trees i come across have much smaller nuts, they are not quite ready here and the harvest is much smaller than last year too.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I been looking out in the woods today and all I have found is small, whitish, and badly formed ones, it a shame as I was with my lad that likes chestnuts, would of been good to roast some for him last night to go with his feast of marshmallows,

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
We had a mooch in hagg wood today for chestnuts (cheers to Chiseller for the heads up), the trees had no husks on at all, the few we found on the floor were fully opened, but white pea sized nuts.
Don't know if someone beat us to it, or whether the horse chestnut mite has spread to sweet chestnuts too.
u5uzyqu2.jpg

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I havent even seen any for sale in the supermarkets yet :( we missed out collecting any last year too as they were all too small whereas the year before i was collecting bag after bag of them from just from a few trees! heres hoping next year is a bumper crop :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hmmm, not as ripe as they were last year from your pic. I usually try to go down to Exmoor about this time and walk the chestnut woods above Porlock, usually fill an empty day sack and have chestnuts for the winter but they're much bigger than that. Poor summer likely the reason.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's a poor year for all tree fruits and nuts. We had a blowy wet spell while the trees were flowering, followed by more wet weather and a very poor growing season.

I haven't found a single chestnut worth picking up this year and the supermarket ones are priced at £2.50 for a small bag of around 20 Italian chestnuts suggesting its been a bad year right across Europe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE