sweet chesnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
wow this years crop was huge,
just got back from the woods, with over half a 55l rucksack full.. so i know what im having every sunday till yule.
mind you my collection method is great fun, sit wach the squirills see were they're opening the husks and were the burring them, then walk towards them, pick all the nuts off the floor and dig up the burried ones.. and if a squirrile stands there squeeking at me lob a big rock at and hope for the extra free food..
i think i may have to have squirill and sweet chesnut soup in the next week or so..

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I picked up a bagful of sweet chestnuts while out in the woods today. BUT - I've never found any before so I'm not sure what to do - do I eat the ones that have opened by themselves and are almost all brown and quite firm OR do I eat the ones that haven't opened and are soft and white on top when I open them OR do I eat them all? Help...:)

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
AFAIK, you want the large hard ones. These are, incidentally, what Tescos are selling. The soft ones don't have much inside. My family pick up loads last weekend and we actually picked up some crackers that we saw fall from the trees!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE