Swedish Trangia Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IamSam

May 6, 2006
Lancaster
Hello all and a pre-emptive thanks.

I have had a Swedish army stove for a while now and think that it’s wonderfully designed bit of kit. I have been using it as a stove while I am fitting my new kitchen but can’t for the life of me work out why the bail has two kinks in it. The one at ninety degrees to the pot is obvious it’s the one that’s at a slight angle which is causing me to loose sleep.

Please help this is driving me round the bend.

SAM

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
those kinks annoy me aswell, why does it have a hook as you can just hook the loop over your cooking stand
leon

IamSam

May 6, 2006
Lancaster
Thanks for the quick reply's

Thanks PC2k, of course thats what its for thought it may have been for just boiling a small amount of liquid in the pot at an angle or somthing equally abstract, should remember not to think to hard on the future.

Leon I think the hook is there so you can hang the pot on a support that is attached at both ends, like a spit roast, without having to take the whole thing to pieces. Sorry about the poor explination hope it makes sence to you.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Does anybody know if and where the stainless steel surplus Trangias are available. I asked Bearclaw and they only have the aluminium now. I have looked online fairly exhaustively and can't see them anywhere.

I do fancy the stainless, it may be a bit heavier but the quality attracts me.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=288323

Just picked up 2 from this site over the Christmas break. Pretty good deal, 2 full sets for $13 USD. Excellent condition as well. It looks like the pots were new, the stoves were used but functional (I did have to clear out some holes on one of them) and the heat shields were in almost new condition. Includes the fuul bottle as well.

mrstorey

Forager
If you can stretch to it, duossal is the best. Dual metal (hence the DUO bit) lighter than Stainless Steel, more durable than ALuminium. It's dear, but I think it's worth it in the long run - my pans have taken a right hammering but still cook just as well as when new.

lavrentyuk said:
Does anybody know if and where the stainless steel surplus Trangias are available. I asked Bearclaw and they only have the aluminium now. I have looked online fairly exhaustively and can't see them anywhere.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
The twin set looks like a good offer but I should probably have specified that I am in the U.K.
I didn't realise you could get the surplus Trangia sets in the dual metal, I know they do the civilian market sets that way.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
It is only the "normal" Trangia set that is available in duossal, the army mess kit is only available in alu or ss, and ss is quite hard to find in the UK according to other threads.

lavrentyuk said:
The twin set looks like a good offer but I should probably have specified that I am in the U.K.
I didn't realise you could get the surplus Trangia sets in the dual metal, I know they do the civilian market sets that way.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
mrstorey said:
If you can stretch to it, duossal is the best. Dual metal (hence the DUO bit) lighter than Stainless Steel, more durable than ALuminium. It's dear, but I think it's worth it in the long run - my pans have taken a right hammering but still cook just as well as when new.

no, not (at least not much) lighter than stainless steel IMHO - probably alu sprayed to the outside of a conventinal stainless steel pot or vice versa (like they do in AMG and other high performance engines now) steel sprayed into an alu pot

The japanese do it on titanium www.epigas.com/e_catalog/catalog_index.html
the reason is to distribute the heat better - not really needed on low BTU burners

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
lavrentyuk said:

www.raeer.com (no connection) sells the stainless steel version - if you want just the "pot & pan" pm me

I used one of these twice a day every single day for 18 months while I lived and worked in the woods. 1 litre of fuel would last me 7 days if I watered it down a litte and it worked hotter and better in the wind! the only drawback was that during daylight you were never quite sure if it was lit or not!

I ended up buying a few for the cold winter (the winter of 98)so that while I was cooking with my main one I always had hot water boiling away for a cuppa and cleaning on my other one. (the extra pots were useful) I had mine permannently set up under some scots pine on an old scaffold board found on the beach and I used to love sitting there on a cold dark frosty starlit night listening to sounds of the forest and the waves from the beach as a brew was bubbling away.

I'm now looking at a giant meths burner from a yacht heater as a heater for my Lavvu :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I got my SS versions via a mate in the states, $5 each, I was stupid, I should have got a lot more sets than the two I did. If they crop up again, I'll try and get a few for you guys here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE