Swedish snow smock help

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm looking for a Swedish snow smock but need a little advice on sizing.
Im not wanting it to fit over other clothing apart from maybe a base layer.
Im a 50" chest.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The C46 should be fine, that goes over all my winter gear. I recommend phoning Kev at Endictotts with your exact size and hell put you onto the right one.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
C64 is the appropriate size. However, the snow smock is cut with a lot of ease to allow it being worn over the battle dress uniform. So you could probably go down a few sizes. C60 as twodogs says is probably a good starting point. But I don't think that translates to a 4 in the more recent system, more like a 6. I used the m/59 field shirt (which H.M. RM uses in the early series) in size 6 and it was a good fit for me with my 44" chest, so a size 6 snow smock might fit you for the intended purpose.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Good stuff never seen a C64 in the UK must keep an eye out for that size

Yepp, rare as the proverbial hens teeth. As we all know, the number of people with a specific size are distributed along a bell curve (although the bell keeps moving in the larger direction as the population is getting bigger and more overweight), so C64 was rare even when the snow suits were issued. There were a lot less guys with 128 cm chests in 1962 (at least in Sweden), and the smocks are getting old, so only a small percentage of those made, if any, of that size are available on the market.

I have an excellent book from the Swedish master tailors guild from 1957 with cutting drafts for all uniforms, military and civilian, that were used at that time. Unfortunately it predates the snow smocks with a few years. Otherwise you could have gotten a draft. :(

Here is the size tables (which are just standard sizes really). The numbers indicate metric body measure that is without ease, just taken with a tape over the body (or underweear depending on who you ask). http://www.beredskapsboden.se/sv/Storlekstabell.html Scroll down to "herrstorlekar", the different rows of numbers refers to the numbers in the picture in the following sequence: 1, 5, 2, 3, 4.

Big EDIT: The snow smock does not follow the same convention as the rest of the uniform system! C54 is made to fit C54-C58, so it might fit the OP as well. C50 is made to fit C48,C50,C52,C146,C150 and C152. Sorry for the confusion. At least I learnt something today.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE