Swedish LK35...Is it worth buying & modding?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Interesting and well done, but would it not be a better solution to buy the larger bag?
There is a reason they designed the LK 70.

I agree Janne (and make that point in the video I think). My additions are more about accessibility than extending the capacity. I can fit most of my summer outfit in it, but it is just a good capacity daysack at the end of the day and not a substitute for a full sized Bergen.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Given the extensive modifications to this pack, I'd say; buy one that resembles the mods shown.
The only thing you'd want to change on the Lk35 are the shoulderstraps, which I deem highly uncomfortable and add a waist strap. Done.
There is no need to do anything else. There's plenty of room inside for everything you'd need an a day trip and more, plenty of good ways to add sleeping gear on the outside and like I said, if you want more, buy a pack that does that.
Unless you can indeed get one for £3.... In that case, go back to the above and have a dirt cheap and very reliable backpack.

What I do not understand, is that all those mods are (very well) done, but the very heavy frame is kept??? In mine that was step 3 I did; find an alternative and much lighter frame.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
We are all not like you, Janne. So yes, many would prefer a smaller backpack for a daypack. Doesn't matter what or who is was designed for.
I for one will not go on a dayhike out here or anywhere else for that matter, without at least the means to create a shelter in case of an emergency. A twisted (or worse) ankle is a possibility every step of the way and it may take a while before I get help. Some way of transportation for an outer layer is also handy and yes, even in Sweden there are folks who enjoy a good cup of hot coffee out in the woods and real food too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With a proper selection, a 35 liter backpack is fine for one week in the nature, providing you can find water.

The 35 was not designed as a day pack. It was designed for the Infantery (mainly) that had the benefit of having most stuff trucked with them, and also had food cooked by a mobile kitchen most of the time.

Unless you really need a large hot drink several times, like you Brits seem to do, you can do day trips with only what you can pack in your jacket and proper trousers. If you can get water.

To carry a backpack on a day trip serms unnecessary.

In UK I used to do day trips an the public footpaths. Nowhere alse I could walk in nature.
Amazing that there seems to be a pub close by everytime the thirst hits you. In South East ( where I walked) at least.
I carried a knife, a map, a pack of Marlborough Ultra, a lighter and a wallet. In the wallet - money, plasters
A sturdy umbrella (=' walking stick with extras')

In Scandinavia I also carry some chocolate and one of two packs of Wasa ready made crackerbread sandwiched.
Water is everywhere and tasty. No pubs.

The South East is not representative of the UK! :)
Our big problem in large parts of The North and Wales is that it is wet and cold - ideal for hypothermia - and many of the Rights of Way are indistinguishable from bog/scree/briar patches ... so gear for emergency/comfort use is essential.
I find 35l a minimum for a daypack, especially if I am with folk who think that they need no more that the clothes they stand in for a day out ....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE