Sweden.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alkier

May 10, 2010
Bristol
Hey folks, I wanted to organise a trip for myself and a friend in sweden for next year when it gets a little bit warmer. I'm planning to do a much longer camp/hike later in the year with a few more folks, but ive decided to go over there for a week or so earlier in the year to do a little bit of recon.

Can anyone suggest a good place to start? Something fairly remote would be nice.

Thanks a lot.

alkier

May 10, 2010
Bristol
Well really i just want a nice area of woodland where i can execute some bushcraft skills without having to run into people. I dont drive so it would need to be within hiking distance, but a wide enough area where i could move frequently without betraying their laws. Canoeing and mountain hiking are two things i intend to do later in the year, as i said this is a recon mission just to get used to the environment...etc

It'll be my first time out there with one friend, so im just wondering if anyone knows of a good place theyve visited or perhaps an area that might accommodate what i wanted from it.

thanks

ganstey

Settler
I've visited the west coast just above Gothenburg on several occasions, and its stunning. Once you get outside the cities its all bushcraft country, and as a nation they live much closer to nature than we do. If you haven't already, then gen up on their 'right to roam' laws as they are very different to ours. The natives are also incredibly friendly, especially if you make the effort to learn a few words of Swedish.

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time whichever part you go to.
G

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I spend every summer in the Grövelsjön area. There you can find two national parks and a lot of natural reserves, check it out via Google.

Acces via Sweden (if not by car): Arlanda airport, train to Mora and the 170 bus to Grövelsjön.
acces via Oslo: Oslo airport, bus till Trysil, then Drevsjö & Femundstunet and then a 42 km stiff hike...

Other great area's in the Are region (Ann, Valadalen), specially near the border with Norway (Acces via Trondheim & then the train towards Östersund)

On the other hand, almost everything north of the great lakes is equally exciting.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ground rules;

* parks have different rules, generally you can take nothing from them (but read up on the specifics)
* don't cause damage, don't leave trash; someone owns the land you are camping on
* stay well away from where people live and you are generally golden, sam goes for growing fields. Close any gates you pass
(e.g. pasture fields)
* frequent fire bans in summer, check and follow the rules
* beware of the stobor, they can be a bit dangerous to the unprepared

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
* beware of the stobor, they can be a bit dangerous to the unprepared - I remember that!!! Which book was it from?? I read it many years ago.....

Almost anywhere you go in Sweden you'll be able to find remote forest, even within a few miles of the city. If you're looking for the bushcraft experience, I would avoid national parks, as although they are stunningly beautiful they have very strict laws around fires and camping etc, often only allowing them at designated campsites where there is a built up campfire, wind shed or cabin and toilet, and usually other people, which to me certainly detracts from the wilderness experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE