Sweden: The best wild camping locations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Can anybody give locations that they would rate as the best wild camping in Sweden? If possible, can you provide lat/log ref's so that a Google Earth database can be established. Many thanks. :thankyou:

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Many thanks Joker. I would have thought that would be a large number of locations throughout the whole of the Scandanavia region due to the fact that bushcraft is very much apart of their culture.:cool:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There is one big problem with your request. While the law allows overnight camping on someone elses land, publishing campsites is a different kettle of fish. If someone here told me he was passing through the area, was there a good spot to camp overnight, I'd be happy to suggest spots on my land. Someone wanting to invite the world would get a different answer, since you simply then invite many, many mre people to camp in the same spot, putting much more wear and tear on the land.

There are public shelters in a lot of places, and I suspect that most of those could be obtained from regular mapping sources (there should be a "layer" in the GIS files with their location).

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Thank you for the input but I think you may have the wrong idea. Nobody is asking for the world to descend on a given area, merely a few people who may who happen to be in the said area. Areas of interest will have people who are visiting them and I very much doubt that there would be a considerable upturn in attention just because some posts on BushcraftUK as it a topic of limited appeal to the masses in the UK.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yes but the forum is open to any one who searches for camping Sweden or any other of the countries you have listed on any search engine. just try type "wild camping Norway" without the speech marks and it's already on page two. people will be very unwilling to give up there hard found private spots, Though i think you intention is good, I think the idea a bad one.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I dont see any problems in your post, and by someone pointing to a map and saying "ive been there and its beautiful" is not breaking any laws or inviting a parade of bushcrafters to some poor chaps crop field.

I too would love to know some nice spots in europe for wild camping. Im not after any secrets and Im not KGB, would just like some pointers to what areas' offer.

forestwalker

I dont see any problems in your post, and by someone pointing to a map and saying "ive been there and its beautiful" is not breaking any laws or inviting a parade of bushcrafters to some poor chaps crop field.

I too would love to know some nice spots in europe for wild camping. Im not after any secrets and Im not KGB, would just like some pointers to what areas' offer.

The law is not the problem, the problem is the "risk" of having scores of campers each season.

If you had talked about regions and areas, that would be a different thing, I would be happy to talk about thatt, and I think others would as well. But not any form of map reference.

For regions; the middle part of the Indal river is quite nice; very hilly, with a deep river valley and plenty of forested ridges on both sides. Say from Liden to Stugun; the upper regions are nice as well but not as dramatic.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
The law is not the problem, the problem is the "risk" of having scores of campers each season.

If you had talked about regions and areas, that would be a different thing, I would be happy to talk about thatt, and I think others would as well. But not any form of map reference.

For regions; the middle part of the Indal river is quite nice; very hilly, with a deep river valley and plenty of forested ridges on both sides. Say from Liden to Stugun; the upper regions are nice as well but not as dramatic.

Fair enough and if somebody does have reservations about giving up their prized areas, I understand. People should be free to give as much or as little information as they like. If there are people that want to give specific locations, great. If not, any information is a bonus especially from a native such as yourself. :thankyou:

forestwalker

Good that you (and others) see my point. Basically I see it as three kinds of spots:

1. Remote, hard to access (e.g. a nice campsite on the slope of Kebnekaise). No problem, there will never be a horde of people decending on it.

2. A fixed campsite, with facilities designed to handle the load. Again no problem, it there to be used, and to take the preassure of he wild spots (leaving them for the more experienced campers, who will be fewer, more experienced and probably more carefull).

3. An easilly accessible spot of nature. Here one should be carefull, since it might be that people will use it far too often. Sometimes this is ok, since it channels an already oversized visitor-population into a few spot, leaving the rest fairly untouched. But in general one should not give those out in public fora.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Will a fisherman give away hi best fishing spots?
Will a canoeist give away his best waters?

The answer is no, these are places only shared with good friends. Finding a good spot is hours with maps and sometimes days of travelling the wilderness finding these places. SO why jsut give them away to people that jsut want to create a database for them. I might be a bit traditionalist in this but I wont post my places on the internet or in any other way, the will be presented to people on travels in the wilderness.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
I do not understand the reasoning for repeated negative points. If you do NOT wish to share you sites, then I respect that but there is no purpose to posting your reasons why you are not. Positivity to the thread. Please avoid adding your negativity please. :thankyou:

Cattail

Feb 1, 2010
Sweden
If ever in, or going to sweden, you are welcome to camp on " my land " in Småland. Just email me and I will give you more information, pics, etc.

kočys

Jun 14, 2015
Vilnius, Lietuva
Hi,

My name is William Katinas. i live in Vilnius Lithuania. My wife, our 3-yr. old and I will be in sweden 17-21 June and would like to come see your land and meet you. We leave "no trace" behind when we camp and even sometimes brush away our footprints when appropriate. We love nature, especially the animals.

Hope to get a reply.

be well
William

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Will a fisherman give away hi best fishing spots?
Will a canoeist give away his best waters?

The answer is no, these are places only shared with good friends. Finding a good spot is hours with maps and sometimes days of travelling the wilderness finding these places. SO why jsut give them away to people that jsut want to create a database for them. I might be a bit traditionalist in this but I wont post my places on the internet or in any other way, the will be presented to people on travels in the wilderness.

I have this same approach with the special little gems of places to wild camp that i find in Scotland, i don't tell anyone their exact locations for fear of them being spoiled the next time i visit, the fact i have often put in many hours with maps and hiking definitely adds to this protective mentality

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE