swanny ranger extreme???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi all,ive trawled through the posts but cant seem to find alot on the rangers extreme shirt.
Any one out there who has one gives us your opinion on it please,what i really need to know is would this be sufficient as the outer layer in our sometimes :rolleyes: frosty chilly windy days?thanks.
swanny.jpg
[/IMG]

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I've only got the standard Ranger shirt but reckon the addition of the drop liner would make it an excellent outer layer. Mine is very warm but the open weave makes you susceptible to cold winds.

I'm hoping to get a Swanddri Mosgiel Extreme for Christmas, fingers crossed :D

Hellz

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
The ranger extreme is a great shirt. I usually use it as my outer layer, though I sometimes add a waterproof shell if its really heavy rain as though you will stay dry and out of the wind in it the outer wool gets very heavy in a serious downpour.
Thinking about it its probably quite good for transporting water ;)

M

magicaltrevor

Recently got the Ranger Extreme from Jonny @ Survival School. Tried it for the first time last weekend in the horrendous rain that we had here in Devon. The Swannie in combination with my, also new, Barmah hat kept the rain off quite nicely.
I've also worn it under a waterproof in the freezing cold and it was very warm! It's fair to say that I'm very chuffed with it, however as Marts said, it probably will hold water in a downpour but there is a shower resistant coating.

Not an in depth review of the Swannie. But, get one!

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I got one of these from ODC and it suits me just fine. I use it as a outer jacket and with a few technical layers underneath its snug as well. Great piece of kit, I wouldnt be without one.

Mr Strop

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
wolf said:
hi all,ive trawled through the posts but cant seem to find alot on the rangers extreme shirt.
Any one out there who has one gives us your opinion on it please,what i really need to know is would this be sufficient as the outer layer in our sometimes :rolleyes: frosty chilly windy days?thanks.
swanny.jpg
[/IMG]

A little late in coming to this thread but hope you enjoy using the shirt. I find Swanny's are great in the field!

Cheers

K

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
They are good for really nasty weather, but don't expect to see any wildlife whilst wearing them. They are unbelievably noisy. Rediculously so.

rustle rustle rustle.........

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
capacious said:
They are good for really nasty weather, but don't expect to see any wildlife whilst wearing them. They are unbelievably noisy. Rediculously so.

rustle rustle rustle.........
Aren't they like all other Swanni products, i.e. made from 100% wool? My classic bushshirt certainly doesn't make a sound.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
I've been trying to decide whether to get the classic ranger shirt or the ranger extreme. Obviously the extreme will hold up better in the wet but i really dont like the noise my waterproof fleece jacket makes- swish, swish, swish :( so i wouldnt want another puiece of clothing that was the same.

How do the two compare in terms of warmth and wind resistance (we get plenty of wind here in Nortumberland), willl the classic ranger be ok as a top layer so long as its not really pouring?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have just bought one from a forum member on here and British Blades. The lining is on the inside and makes no noise whatsoever. What is more, as the liining is on the inside, the wool doesn't irritate either.
I have had a few ordinary Rangers, but this one beats them hands down. If you are looking at a Swanni Ranger and can afford the extra few quid go for the extreme.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE