swanndri bushshirt (the one with the hood)

Jackdaw

Get on the Swanndri NZ mailing list. You'll receive their latest offers. I waite until they came up a 25% discount and free worldwide shipping. I had to pay import duties but it was still cheaper than anywhere in the UK.

There is always ebay or if you of the larger persuasion I have a blue and black checked bush shirt in 3xl (NZ sizing not UK so equates to about a 46-48" jacket). It is as new and a genuine NZ not Chinese made one.

Good luck. I waited about 7 months to find the one I now where which is a green and black checked bush shirt which the chap I got it off brought back from NZ 30 years ago. Lovely looking thing and the only green and black checked model I've ever seen.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
What size are you. I have one marked 2xl and its big. Im a 50 chest and i have room to get a hoodie under it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
size wise i dont know i shall check my swanndri shirt and confirm
i think i took the L in the shirt not certain though

If it helps...

I wear a Swanndri Ranger shirt in 'Large' (a comfortable fit) and a Swanndri Bushshirt sized as 'XL' obviously that makes for a roomy fit but I usually have either the Ranger or a Bison shirt on underneath it.

swannie.jpg

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup, but they are worth the cost, had mine for 8 years, sleeping on it, in it, bashing about town, trail(when we lived in scotland cold enough to walk distance with it on) and wood camps and it still looks new,

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"..that does help i take a large in the ranger shirt so an XL would be sufficient for space would it?.."

Yes it should be, both garments were made at roughly the same time and before the move to China. There appears to be some discrepancy between the sizing of Rangers and Bushshirts, possibly because they expect you to wear it over something like a Ranger or a wooly jumper.

"...nice photo but your heads missing :).."

I blame the wife, she is a terrible photographer. :)

Yup, but they are worth the cost, had mine for 8 years, sleeping on it, in it, bashing about town, trail(when we lived in scotland cold enough to walk distance with it on) and wood camps and it still looks new,

The Bushshirt is very hardwearing, mine has also had years of abuse and looks as good as new, the wool of the Ranger doesn't compare, the Bushshirt has different weave and feels heavier. It'll keep you warm in a gale even when wet, and yes it'll double as a sleeping bag. :)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the Mosgiel is better Sam - it has a full length double zip but is otherwise identical - but I hate "overhead" garments anyway!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Agree with Red. I like smock designs in general but much prefer the zipped Swanni.

They are wonderful coats (don't the let the word 'shirt' fool you) and a bit more wearable in civilisation. I was a bit worried about the wool maybe itching on bare skin but it has been fine. I was lucky with mine - my brother went on holiday to NZ abut 5 years ago and brought me one back - nice one, our kid!

They are an unusual style of coat but they seem to work. However, they are not the panacea and will wet out under heavy rain. Mind you, should give enough time to find/build shelter!

I think they are the sort of garments that will probably last as long as you do. Assuming you don't grow too much, should be a coat for life.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think the Mosgiel is better Sam - it has a full length double zip but is otherwise identical - but I hate "overhead" garments anyway!

The Mosgiel has a detachable hood too.

I had a Mosgiel to begin with and later replaced it with the original version. I don't mind the 'overhead' bit although it can be a bit awkward if your in a leaf shelter or such, however I felt that the zip was at odds with the 'oldy-worldy' feel of the garment, the original just feels more 'right'. To me anyway.

journeyman+1+07+073.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE