Swan mussel shells

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I have discovered a lot of eaten swan mussel shells and I'm certain that it's otters scoffing them. My question is what's the best value remote wildlife camera that people would recommend for me to get to film the little darlings.

Thanks for for the help.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Got one of the bushnell trail cams and its been brilliant. we've caught red squirrels, pine martins foxes and all sorts of birds over the couple of years we've had it. it was only their basic one and can't remember what i paid for it, but totally worth it. being abe to leave it out over night means we've had some very good shots.

bearbait

Can't comment on value but I have a Bushnell Trophy Cam Max (model 119477 I believe) 8 megapixel.

I've been pleased with it. It'll do photos, up to 3 I think at one triggering, video, does infra-red/night vision for after dark stuff. You can also set it to take photos or videos at a particular time each day. Loads of settings for image/video quality and so on. Also it triggers into life fast. Comes with connecting cables and stuff.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Did you find any tracks and/or scat/feces? Any teeth/claw markings on the shells?

When you go to set up the camera, look above and around for potential obstacles.
Friend just retrieved the chip from one of his trail cams. A conifer tree branch had broken
and was dangling in front of the camera. He said 3 pictures of Lynx and 2,700 pictures of the swaying branch.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Can't comment on value but I have a Bushnell Trophy Cam Max

I've had my Bushnell Bone Collector since 2012 and have got some great videos of otters. It might not be the cheapest but it's still going strong so value wise I'm very happy with it. Some of the newer models have had mixed reviews so stick to the ones that hunters and researchers use rather than the natureview ones targeted at hobbyists. The trigger is quicker on photo mode as you get a second or so delay before the video kicks in. The photos are also better quality but I still prefer video. Get a ground spike if you do buy one though as it makes setting them up much easier and gives you better options on where to put it and angle of view. Wildlife Watching Supplies sell good quality ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE