Svord peasant knife review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
After years of carrying various multi-tools and SAK's I finally reached the conclusion that most of the time they were used it was for the primary blade. A blade that was invariably too small, difficult to handle, not very strong (I've snapped 2 leatherman micra blades) and most importantly not very secure. With this in mind I decided to buy a Svord peasant knife to use as an EDC.

NOTE...... This knife is not really a legal carry. The blade is a whisker over 3" in length. I take sensible precautions, dont carry it to the pub, have a 'reasonable' reason to carry and am generally presentable and polite to policemen. If you have concerns over legality it should be reasonably easy to shorten the blade a tad.

I picked the Svord because it was substantial, having a decent sized handle that passed the 'palm width' test. It also has decent quality carbon steel and because of the design would seem to be safe from accidently closing over my fingers when in use.

The knife came from Outdoor supplies in New Zealand. I ordered online and they delivered my goods in just 6 days. Outstanding service (UK retailers please take note). Because the pound is fairly strong at the moment I only paid £30 for *two* knives, two sheaths and delivery. The second knife is destined to be a fathers day gift.

I havent been able to include any pictures as my digital camera is out of order but there are pictures on the svord website and also on the outdoor supplies website.

The knife has a light coloured wood handle which has a fairly rough finish, held together with a brass pin and a couple of brass bolts that can be adjusted with a screwdriver to vary the amount of friction when opening/closing. There was a light coating of oil on the blade to prevent rust in transit. The blade is made of carbon steel and came convex ground with a small secondary bevel. Closed length is about 6 1/2 ", opened up the overall length is about 10". the blade is 1" deep at the handle end tapering to the point and is about 2mm thick. The sheath is soft dark brown leather, about 2mm thick with 2 slits cut in one side for a belt to pass through. A fairly basic design and not what you could call pretty :rolleyes:

Before using the knife I decided to get rid of the secondary bevel and fully convex the blade. This took about half an hour using a couple of grades of wet and dry sandpaper and a mousemat.

In use the knife is very reassuring. Because of the design it can be opened and closed with one hand and once opened the blade cant close whilst the handle is being gripped in the hand. Once I had fully convexed the edge the knife was very sharp. Starting with some kitchen duties the peasant folder was able to do all the prep for a full Sunday lunch including carving the joint of beef. The curve of the blade, the convex grind and the handle shape really make for an efficient veggie slicer. Once I had bored SWMBO to tears by demonstrating my ability to cut transparent slices of carrot I moved on to some feather sticks... Whilst I never really intended to buy this as a bushcraft tool it still did remarkably well carving wood. I know some folks say a convexed blade is not ideal for feather sticks but to be honest I couldnt tell the diference between this and a scandi grind. I would say that it probably lacks the precision needed for fine detail carving. My attempt at a spoon was consigned to the fire (Like so many before it :( ) Perhaps more of a comment on my carving skills than the knife itself!
I finished of my little test by shredding cardboard, a fairly brutal test of edge retention. It took about 15 minutes of fairly constant shredding of thick corrugated cardboard before the edge started to lose its 'bite'. Restoring the edge took all of 30 seconds with my Hoodoo hone.
The only part of the package that I'm not really happy with is the sheath. It doesnt really hold the knife securely at all. Wearing it on my belt, the knife fell out just about every time I bent over and the slits cut for the belt to pass through have already started to split after a couple of hours use. I just use the sheath as a pouch now and keep the whole lot in my jacket pocket. Gents, if like me you possess a beer gut of any size its best NOT to keep the knife in your jeans pocket. Bending forward will introduce the protruding part of the folding assembly into your soft fleshy bits with painful results :eek:

Overall I'm delighted with the knife. Its robust, sharp, safe to use and very funtional. Cheap too :D

Simon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Simon,

I completely agree with your opening statement. SAK's and Leatherman's and the like are great tools, but they lack the most important bit; the BLADE.

To be fair, if Victorinox made a knife with a better quality blade, I'd probably stop using my Mora for good.

Well, maybe it'll happen in the next decade. (But probably not)

Cheers,

Adam

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
addyb said:
To be fair, if Victorinox made a knife with a better quality blade, I'd probably stop using my Mora for good.

Adam,

What do you define as better? i.e, what exactly do you think is wrong with the current ones and what change/s would you want made?

Just interested as its an opinion I havent heard voiced that much.

Rgds

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Mr. Yarrow,

I've had a bit of an epiphany since writing that reply. I've gone full circle, so to speak. :p

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=14259 was me whining and complaining about my SAK collection like a little kid.

and...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=14394 was me realizing that there really isn't anything wrong with SAK's. I stopped carrying my little guy for about a week, and missed it sorely.

I guess the point I was trying to make was I wished that an SAK blade was a little bit harder, because 56hrc is pretty soft. But then again, the blades on them are so bloody thin that even when the edges are rolled, the angle's so acute that they push cut extremely well. I think Border Reiver said it best when he wrote "an SAK is a compromise, but it must be one of the best compromises ever."

Adam

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I'm a bit puzzled Adam. :confused:

The blade on a SAK is as good as it needs to be.Easily sharpened,non rust and the right length for any job a small pocket knife should be expected to do.

Oh,and cheap enough to be used in any and all conditions without worry. :cool:

Oops,cross post. :eek: :D

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
addyb said:
I guess the point I was trying to make was I wished that an SAK blade was a little bit harder, because 56hrc is pretty soft.

So take it apart, have the blade re heat treated to a better RC and when your putting it back together add some new wooden scales ;)

TBH, ive never had one roll on me, wonder what youve been cutting :eek: :D

Rgds

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
that's a good point about re- heat treating. It's probably a bit excessive, but if someone out there made simple high carbon blades, then people might switch them. Couldn't be bothered, personally, but I'm sure someone would.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
simonsays said:
The knife came from Outdoor supplies in New Zealand. I ordered online and they delivered my goods in just 6 days.

Great review - sounds interesting. Can you post a link please,

Thanks,

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Just one thing though. Even if you do shorten it blade you will still need a reason to carry in the UK as it would still still be classified as a lock knife as to be classified as a folding knife it must be capable of been folded at all times including when it is being gripped.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
clcuckow said:
Just one thing though. Even if you do shorten it blade you will still need a reason to carry in the UK as it would still still be classified as a lock knife as to be classified as a folding knife it must be capable of been folded at all times including when it is being gripped.

Sorry mate, thats not true, the law says a mechanism, this isnt one. Its been discussed in great length over on BB and Im inclined to agree with them. If you put a cable tie around it however, then it would be non section 139 compliant without a reasonable reason.

Otherwise a SAK would be illegal as your fingers around the front of the knife would mean it couldnt close.

Rgds

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Mr_Yarrow said:
Sorry mate, thats not true, the law says a mechanism, this isnt one. Its been discussed in great length over on BB and Im inclined to agree with them. If you put a cable tie around it however, then it would be non section 139 compliant without a reasonable reason.

Otherwise a SAK would be illegal as your fingers around the front of the knife would mean it couldnt close.

Rgds

I will have to re read on BB because I am sure there was another thread where a similar design was deemed to fall foule of the law.

Edit: Also what constatutes a machanism. It could be argued that it used the worlds oldest mechanism. A leaver acting against the palm of your hand. Just a thought.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
clcuckow said:
I will have to re read on BB because I am sure there was another thread where a similar design was deemed to fall foule of the law.

Edit: Also what constatutes a machanism. It could be argued that it used the worlds oldest mechanism. A leaver acting against the palm of your hand. Just a thought.

Yeah, I see where your coming from and it is a nasty tin of confusing worms, good luck getting your head round it :D

In regards to the mechanism part, thats where the ambiguity stems from. I thinks there was a comment from Ross in the 'ask a cop a knife related question' thread on BBs law forum that explained that it was the case the knife had to be readily foldable/closable at all times. If you think about it, you stop holding a friction folder along the spine and it is readily more foldable than a strong slippy like the UKPK, where the slipjoints spring resists the closing action etc

Rgds

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE