Sussex Bushcraft group meet for JULY: 27th TO 29th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I'm not even sure I can make it now, Bedgebury is going to take up all of the weekend including Sunday morning which is when I was going to drop in. And top bloke Hugo has kindly made my girls a hammock to play in. I think the next meet will be the same for me too, then back to normal service.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
@ Peter
where did we end up at with our list of trees that drop branches?

to be honest any trees can fail if they have decay or in poor shape. look into the trees crown and check for broken or hanging branches. also brackets on the stem or some fungi such as honey fungus around the but can indicate structural weaknesses in the tree.

off the top of my head i would say watch out for...

poplars - even large limbs can break off
willows - often fall over because of rotten roots or hollow stems
beech - weak branch unions cause branches to drop or multiple stemmed trees derived from ancient coppice stools often fall over
ash - the dead wood sometimes drops with the slightest touch (as a mate found out whilst working over an old victorian greenhouse :rolleyes:)
birch - if it is dead standing and most likely rotted by birch polypor fungi the whole trees is liable to fall over or loose its top. once had a very near miss whilst felling a dodgy one, the top hit another tree and broke off and nearly took me out when it fell to the ground:(

hope this helps
pete

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
to be honest any trees can fail if they have decay or in poor shape. look into the trees crown and check for broken or hanging branches. also brackets on the stem or some fungi such as honey fungus around the but can indicate structural weaknesses in the tree.

beech - weak branch unions cause branches to drop or multiple stemmed trees derived from ancient coppice stools often fall over
ash - the dead wood sometimes drops with the slightest touch (as a mate found out whilst working over an old victorian greenhouse :rolleyes:)
birch - if it is dead standing and most likely rotted by birch polypor fungi the whole trees is liable to fall over or loose its top.

So basically JC, you reckon not to be in the woods at all ;)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Been very busy with work & trips away but am really looking forward to this one. Weather looks good so it should be fun. I will be up on the Friday round 6:30ish, so will see you all there

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
1 Neumo
2 TimD +1
3 Hugo
4 Simon H
6 Goingnative
7 chairlessBill
9 Peter_t
10 Manda Panda
11 Rico
12 spandit
13 Rockmonkey-Friday night only
14 widu13 + 3 icckles

Swallows are unable to make it. The August meet is over The Wilderness Gathering so we can't make that either.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

birch - if it is dead standing and most likely rotted by birch polypor fungi the whole trees is liable to fall over or loose its top. once had a very near miss whilst felling a dodgy one, the top hit another tree and broke off and nearly took me out when it fell to the ground:(

hope this helps
pete

it does, thanks

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Don't forget to take water as well as a chair this weekend people.
Be good to see you all at Broadstone this weekend.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Don't forget to take water as well as a chair this weekend people.
Be good to see you all at Broadstone this weekend.

also dont forget to take spare water containers too people, so we can all go and fill them up at the Stand Pipes.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
1 Neumo
2 TimD +1
3 Hugo
4 Simon H
6 Goingnative
7 chairlessBill
9 Peter_t
10 Manda Panda
11 Rico
12 spandit
13 Rockmonkey-Friday night only
14 widu13 + 3 icckles
15 Kep + 2 not so icckles

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ahem :eek: I've been "informed" :stretcher: that the icckles and I are not available to attend this meet. I will see if I can make it up for a brew at least. :aargh4:

oh i see, the 1st meet i can get to in ages and all of a sudden you cant come over:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE