Suspension questions

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hey Guys

As some of you know i ought a nomad land hammock at the end of last month, now due to work and other things ive not been able to get out with it yet HOWEVER i'm off out for the day on Friday.

So a couple of questions first of all i bought a 10 meter length of 50mm polyprop webbing, is this too wide?

secondly what suspension method would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of using This One

Is there anything inherently wrong with the stuff i have chosen?

Dave

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
my webbing is 2 inches wide and its standard with the make and model of hammock i have so that sounds fine to me.

I use garda hitch system.

the suspension method is like asking people which knife they use for bushcraft... youll get every single person defiant that their method is the best! you need to try out a few and find out what works for you!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's the same system I used Dave until I got into hammockforums and the whoopie slings, I used 18mm tubular webbing cut into 5m lengths for each side, one carabiner at each end and you're good to go. Nothing wrong with that system mate the only down side compared to the other alternatives is the bulk and weight.
Providing the webbing you've got is rated high enough then it'll work just fine.

Uncle Ray uses the same system too ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7dx0WJo9o&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
was thinking of something similar but not 100% sold, I think i'm gonna try a few different ways and then decide lol so.....

any other ideas on what i might try? explanations would help

Thanks Dave

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Mine consists of 4 meters flat rope (stuff DD supply) with a storm ring attached one end, and a meter of paracord thats been folded over 4 times and knotted in 6" sections, then attached to the other end of the rope.

I simply pass the rope around the tree and through the ring, wrap around as many times as needed and thread the remainder (with paracord section) through the storm ring again. The knotted sections then become adjustment loops for a karabiner and i simply clip up/down as required to lower or raise the hammock.

Its really simple/cheap to make, acts like a slap strap, can be instantly adjusted via the paracord loops and the excess paracord becomes a drip rope.

I'll dig you out a picture later at home if it helps!

al.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
been out today and tried a few different configs, had a great day and decided on an amalgamation of 2 different styles i think. At one end i am using a piece of webbing doubled with knots every foot or so then clipped into a bina. At the other end it is tied to the bina and then power cinched round the tree, tried it today and it works a treat.

Thanks for all your help fella's

Dave

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
been out today and tried a few different configs, had a great day and decided on an amalgamation of 2 different styles i think. At one end i am using a piece of webbing doubled with knots every foot or so then clipped into a bina. At the other end it is tied to the bina and then power cinched round the tree, tried it today and it works a treat.

Thanks for all your help fella's

Dave

what did i say eh! i knew youd have to try them all out and find what works for you! welcome to the world of hammocking! get on hammockforums.net for more useful info!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE