survivorman?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
i was a bit sceptical of his programme when it first started, but i must say that i'm right in to them now!! :) im taping all the programmes as you never know when it would be repeated nor if any dvd would come out as most tv companys think programmes such as this are a waste of their time and won't bother issuing it for the public to buy re ray mears world of survival.

regards
james :D

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
For me, it's an awful 'show'. He does the daftest things at times. Did you see him eating the mushrooms even though he said himself that he wasn't sure if it was poisonous or not?

And anything he does try, usually fails in the end. E.g. the slingshot, dear God.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Kiamyr said:
For me, it's an awful 'show'. He does the daftest things at times. Did you see him eating the mushrooms even though he said himself that he wasn't sure if it was poisonous or not?

And anything he does try, usually fails in the end. E.g. the slingshot, dear God.

If you sat down and watch the programs you will see that this guy does know his stuff he gets out there and does it, by himself, with little equipment or supplies and he films himself doing it, which triples his work load.

It would be interesting to see how everyone on this forum would cope even as a group; most would not be able to walk for four days let alone survive.

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
"It would be interesting to see how everyone on this forum would cope even as a group; most would not be able to walk for four days let alone survive."

You're missing the point. This guy is giving out tips, I'm certainly no expert in the field - I've only started myself! But some of the things he's saying can lead other people to do daft things too.

It's a really pathetic program to be honest, typical American drivel.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Adi Fiddler said:
If you sat down and watch the programs you will see that this guy does know his stuff he gets out there and does it, by himself, with little equipment or supplies and he films himself doing it, which triples his work load.

It would be interesting to see how everyone on this forum would cope even as a group; most would not be able to walk for four days let alone survive.

at the end of the day mr mears has many takes at what he does. iglloo anyone?? lol. im not taking from the fact he's a top fella, i have everything he's done
but the guy in survibvorman, whom i wasn't the greatest fan of at the start does it as we see it,. one take and thats all. he is relying on the knowledge that he has to actually survive, no food nor shelter for 7 full days. i wouldn't think that many of us here would be able to try that. never mind the highlands of scotland as our most extreme, thats easy enough, i did 2 weeks there, but to do it in varying terrain with the consistency he has is well worth applauding. :D

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
the first episode i saw didnt do anything for me i thought he was a bit of a buffoon but i stuck with it and must say im starting to enjoy it specially the honesty of his trying and failing and improvising with what he has, which to me is partly what bushcrafting is all about.

TT

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Kiamyr said:
You're missing the point. This guy is giving out tips, I'm certainly no expert in the field - I've only started myself! But some of the things he's saying can lead other people to do daft things too.

It's a really pathetic program to be honest, typical American drivel.

This Guy is showing one thing, the most important thing, the thing that marks a survivor from a cadaver, do something, anything, improvise, experiment, keep active, make aims, set goals, be positive, achieve, succeed, and ultimately live.

With your pathetic statement you are being negative and critical, with that in your head you will not see the positive points or learn.

Ok in the program we are talking about with the plane crash the best advice is to stay put until help arrives, which I believe he stressed in the program? But, there is a time that you need to think about trying to make your own way out, whether that be after a week, a month or after a year, you need to work that out yourself depending on the situation that you’re in.

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
"With your pathetic statement you are being negative and critical"

Was there any need for that in fairness?

Watch tonight's show and we'll talk after eh.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Watched it for the first time tonight, it isn't educational its entertainment, a couple of original ideas, but I think a fair few people on here would do a little bit better than he did! :rolleyes:

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
Goose said:
Watched it for the first time tonight, it isn't educational its entertainment, a couple of original ideas, but I think a fair few people on here would do a little bit better than he did! :rolleyes:

but thats the point he's improvising with what he has at hand . not the latest high priced gadget or taking rations in with him,he tries to bring a bit of realism to it ie only having 1 usable arm! how many on here could do better without the must have gear? no food, thirsty and having to cover a certain distance in a certain time scale regardless of weather conditions and lugging camera equipment around? probably not as many as you think. im ex military and the first i would do would be to ditch unnecessary weight and kit.but he has got to lug about 50lbs of camera gear around!! could you do it lugging that excess baggage???????

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I didn't mean equipment, the danger of disease from rats etc come up a few times then he drank straight from a puddle that had mouse/rat tracks around it without sterilising! Not exactly best practice :eek:
He found water and decided it was too far from his camp to be useable, he filled an innertube with water and threw away a bottle he found?
I am all for improvisation and doing something rather than nothing, and I found the programme enjoyable, but I think it needs a "don't try this at home" warning on some of the things he did.

Ps. If he had really gone for 5 days before he ate for the first time he wouldn't have felt hungry!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE