Survival tin show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, it shouldn't be any different. I know that some post offices will charge more if you put germany in the address, but if you put Mill Hill, London that will stop them charging extra. Unfortunately most PO's don't know it costs nothing extra, and so you basically need to argue with them!

I don't think Tiffers had to pay any extra to send my Halloween stuff over.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Okies here's mine.......

Please no comments on the fact that it's a Ray Mears pouch.
Like most bushcrafty things i own they bought before i knew this site existed so i wasn't aware of the different things available to me.

The original kit is the military survival tin from Penrith survival (NATO button compass, much better quality). I have substituted the weedy flint and steel for a full size firestick, added some cut to size plasters along with some inner tube and blue flame lighter for bombproof firelighting in an emergency.

In the future i would like to get one of the roller clip mess tins as they look slightly larger. I would then like to add a better knife (opinel or the like) a small LED torch and maybe some form of long lasting emergency food.

Anyway the full kit laid out......
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/ArkAngel_06/DSCN2982.jpg

Packed away....
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/ArkAngel_06/DSCN2984.jpg

In the pouch......
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/ArkAngel_06/DSCN2985.jpg

And the pouch on it's own.....
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/ArkAngel_06/DSCN2986.jpg

comments, things i may have missed out?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I did look at the RM website last night and it appeared that First Class and HM Forces Mail were exactly the same price. BFPO is free to operational zones and some ships on operational duties AFAIK.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
ArkAngel said:
...comments, things i may have missed out?

Mine's based on the Ritter kit and the main differences I can see are a small roll of duct tape and the heavy duty foil for making into a water container/pan.

Some sort of torch? A photon or similar?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
scanker said:
Mine's based on the Ritter kit and the main differences I can see are a small roll of duct tape and the heavy duty foil for making into a water container/pan.

Some sort of torch? A photon or similar?

Yes thats the idea with a no8 opinel maybe. I'd need a bigger tin and pouch to fit everything in so it goes on the back burner until i feel i really need it (or maybe a second pouch.
Don't want to look like a jedi knight though! :D

And the advantage of the small pouch at the moment is, it is small enough to wear and no be aware it's there.....untill i forget and get back in the car, stabbing myself in the kidneys with it :lmao: :censored:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
scanker said:
I did look at the RM website last night and it appeared that First Class and HM Forces Mail were exactly the same price. BFPO is free to operational zones and some ships on operational duties AFAIK.

The key might be the operational zones bit. I am not sure if Germany is classed as an operational zone.

Also I did not know the Ray Mears site had such detailed postal information ;)

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Heres the MOD issue Escape and Evasion / Combat Survival Kit.
It doesn't actually come with a lot of items. A couple of things are missing, like the magnifying lens for fire starting, and I have added a red pyrotechnic kit.
Its a slim, discreet pouch and kit, can be tucked away in the poachers pocket of a windproof jacket.

Items in the picture are: Pouch (doubles as water carrier), Magnesium spark stick, Wire saw, NATO fishing kit, Mini brass compass, Snare wire, Heliograph, Pyrotechnic flares.

You can tell the difference in the quality of the individual items compared with a lot of the stuff that is commercially available. It isn't a comprehensive set up, but designed as a lightweight kit for "prone to capture" troops / aircrew.

eandekitlt3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE