Survival tin show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Following on from the survival kit thread, I thought I would share the contents of my survival tin. This tin forms part of my "macro" kit, ...that is a pouch sized kit.

sk002.jpg

It's based around a ritter pocket survival kit and a BCB mini mess kit.

The BCB mini mess tin...
sk002.jpg

Well packed with instructions on the top...
sk003.jpg

Under the instructions...
sk004.jpg

the full contents...
sk005.jpg

Mess tin with handle, large zip lock bag to storte contents and foil sheet for a windbreak or utensil oraigami...
sk013.jpg

tampon, fabric plaster and steri strips...
sk012.jpg

Small roll of duct tape, one handed firestarter, tinder bundles, jet scream whistle, nylon line and mini chemical light stick...
sk011.jpg

Waterproof paper, pencil, fresnel lens and survival instructions...
sk010.jpg

Red photon, white photon, signal mirror, mini compass, tin opener, mini multi-tool and scalpel blade...
sk009.jpg

Fishing weights, spinners and clips, safety pins, fishing hooks and split-shot, brass wire, steel wire, spool of thread and nylon line...
sk008.jpg

Drinking straw, salt, condom, aquatabs, stock cube, and vial of blended spices...
sk007.jpg

Mess tin handle, made from a coathanger...
DSCN0137.jpg

In use, the handle replaces on of the roller clamps to function like the handle on a british army mess kit. As you can see, the result is a nice fit on an esbit stove but could be used on an open fire...
DSCN0160.jpg

The handle packs away inside the BCB tin...
DSCN0153.jpg

Full list:
BCB mini mess tin
Coathanger handle
Survival instructions
Large zip lock bag
Large foil sheet x2
Tampon
Fabric plaster
Steri strips
Small roll of duct tape
One handed firestarter
Tinder bundles x4 in ziplock bag
Jet scream whistle
Nylon fishing line
Mini chemical light stick
Waterproof paper
Pencil
Fresnel lens
Red photon
White photon
Rescue Flash signal mirror
Mini silva button compass
Army tin opener
Mini multi-tool
Scalpel blade
Fishing weights
Spinners and clips
Safety pins
Sewing needle
Fishing hooks - various
Split-shot
Brass snare wire
Steel wire
Spool of sewing thread
Braided nylon line
Drinking straw
Salt x2
Condom
Aquatabs
Beef stock cube
Vial of blended spices

:)

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Nice one Martyn,

Have you used this either in anger or as a evaluation test?

I've heard good things about the Ritter kits and I'm interested in durability etc.

Thanks

david

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I like it! - is amazing what you can fit in a small space if you pack it well! (perhaps I should get swmbo to pack mine though - she always seems to get twice as much as me in a suitcase!!!)

btw - is that foam on the inside of the lid?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
moduser said:
Nice one Martyn,

Have you used this either in anger or as a evaluation test?

I've heard good things about the Ritter kits and I'm interested in durability etc.

Thanks

david

Not either, the kit is virgin - I suppose that's how I want it to stay, though I would like to know how it all performs for real. I've used the tin (or rather another the same as this) and it works very well as a cooker.

I can say definitely that the contents of the basic ritter kit are very high quality, tough and durable - that much is clear to me without testing it. :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Cap'n Badger said:
Nice kit bro.....likes the tin espesh........how much does it retail fer?...

I got a couple of ebay, I think they go for somewhere between £7 to £12 each depending on how lucky you are with the bidding. I know Andrew at outdoorcode sells em.

Full to capacity, it holds 250 mls or just over 8 fl/oz, you can comfortably boil 1 decent cup of water in it.

It's just a tad larger than a tobacco tin...

DSCN0147.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
g4ghb said:
btw - is that foam on the inside of the lid?

No, it's a silicon-rubber gasket which makes the tin airtight when the roller clamps are clamped over the ends. The little tab you see on the gasket is to lift it out of the lid with, to leave you with a small eating plate.

sk003.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cool - that makes sence - now I know what i'm looking at I can see a 'white' gasket rather than 'black' foam ;)

Hmmmm is it 2 faces or a candlestick!? :lmao:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mines a little different

candle
matches
flint
beta light
flexible saw
potassium permangnate
painkillers
aquatabs
needles and thread
fishing kit (line, hooks, weights, and a few coloured bits to make lures with)
compass
beta light
whistle
mirror
couple of ready made snares
plasters
scapel
steri strips
condom
saftey pins
foil sheet
ziplock bag
couple windproof candles

Stutoffee

Jan 23, 2006
Manchester
Heres mine. Its changed a little since the picture was taken, Ive upgraded to "proper" (blackhawk) paracord, a new design glowring & added some glow-in-th-dark beads (55p for a pack of 100 or so from Hobbycraft!) onto the paracord.
I AM in the process of switching to a BCB mini mess tin & will swap the SAK Classic SD (with scales removed NOT to save weight but coz I broke 'em!) to a Leatherman Micra or maybe even a full-size SAK (Huntsman?).
Kitcensored.jpg

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My tin was a Players Navy (now collectable!) and due to this thread has been replaced by the BCB tin as it has those super roll over clips. My only observation is from an experience fishing. Remember to have some small hooks too with the bigger ones. I caught twelve small fish once to feed myself and the people that I met in the hut (NZ). While gutting the small fish a couple of big fish came along and ate the offal. One of these would have fed the party but I had no suitable big hook. Although this could have another ending as the big fish could have broken the line and we would have had no supper at all!!
I think today as my eyes are not as good as they were I would add a reading glass lens as this would enable me to see better. A one eyed view of the world is always positive!

Stutoffee

Jan 23, 2006
Manchester
Martyn said:
Moral booster I wopuld think. :D

The little black squares seem to have got bigger. :lmao:

Yep! Definate morale booster! I read on some US site about having a pic of a loved one in your kit as "a reason to survive" so I have the dogtag with my ID details on one side & pic of SWMBO on t'other!
(Censored mainly for the US sites, dontcha know!) :rolleyes:

The dayglo rectangles are just pieces of paper which I figure could double as markers or lures.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I came across this a few minutes ago:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp
select: Fieldcraft >> Survival

SVL052.jpg

Survival mess tins. Black. Code: SVL052
This fits easily into most pockets and pouches. Aluminium tin with roll top closed lid. 5.5cm high, 16cm long and 11.5cm wide. Ideal for an extensive survival kit, pot can be used for cooking in an emergency. £5.99

&

SVL053.jpg

Survival mess tins. Silver. Code: SVL053
This fits easily into most pockets and pouches. Aluminium tin with roll top closed lid. 4.5cm high, 16cm long and 10.5cm wide. Ideal for an extensive survival kit, pot can be used for cooking in an emergency. £3.99

Hope it's of some use for someone in future :approve:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm a bit annoyed that they charge extra to deliver to a BFPO address, it shouldn't cost a penny more to post to BFPO as it is delivered to Mill Hill in London and then moved from there to it's destination by Military Postal Couriers. I may send them a message as I think they are trying to rip off the BFPO people! :aargh4:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
spamel said:
I'm a bit annoyed that they charge extra to deliver to a BFPO address, it shouldn't cost a penny more to post to BFPO as it is delivered to Mill Hill in London and then moved from there to it's destination by Military Postal Couriers. I may send them a message as I think they are trying to rip off the BFPO people! :aargh4:

It does cost extra to post to a BFPO address. The hammock postage for one hammock is £2.20 for one but to a BFPO address is £3.70 approx. I think the rules have changed as the person I was sending it too expected it to be the same as normal UK postage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE