Survival Kit History teaser

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm thinking toddy's suggestion of Woodstock is the most likely.
It was notoriously dusty at Woodstock and they did also have heavy rain at times turning the site into a mud bath.
A hershy bar is obviously american.
I go with Toddy.
Woodstock or similar festival for me!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Ooops, sorry was cooking..

Closest was Oldtimer.

The unusual contents belong to the Midget Disaster Emergency Survival kit circa 1960

This kit was designed and manufactured by the D.E.S. Corporation of Newark, Ohio. It is intended to help the user survive the first 24 hours of a nuclear war by providing supplies that will allow him or her to reach a shelter without becoming contaminated by radiation. The promise: "You can survive if you stay alive." The kit includes a cloth mask to be worn over the mouth and nose, a plastic fallout coat, and plastic bags to wear over the shoes. These materials should be worn over one's clothing so that any fallout particles would collect on them. The kit also includes a water bag and halazone tablets for water purification, to keep the survivor hydrated until he or she could reach a shelter. When the survivor reached a shelter, he or she would remove their coverings and wash off any remaining fallout with the included Cashmere Bouquet soap and paper towel. The kit also contains a water bag and water purification tablets, and ration bars of Hershey's Tropical Chocolate, so that the survivor will have the energy to reach a shelter. The existence of this kit indicates the numerous business opportunities created by American concerns over security and safety during the Cold War. Included with the kit is a promotional sheet and an instructional booklet. The plastic red case has a carrying strap and a zipper opening at the top, the face mask is white cloth, the hooded coat is plastic and light purple, the water bag is made of tan card stock with a white twine tie and a clear plastic vial with Halazone tablets attached, the chocolate bars are made by Hershey with "Tropical" printed on the wrappers, the soap has its original packaging "Cashmere Bouquet", the foot coverings are clear plastic bags with white twine at the top for tightening. source Ohio Historical Society

Attachments

• mk2.jpeg
    mk2.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 8
  • mmkit.jpeg
    mmkit.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 8

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
So, it's very comforting to know I can survive a nuclear detonation with the contents of my handbag, and have been able to do so for many years (hence my first guess of granny's handbag)
I always have a rain poncho and until the last year or so a couple of plastic bags for shopping, nowadays I use cloth ones.
I also have a ziplock bag(water container ?) with some chocolate, cough sweets such as soothers, and a small packet of nuts, or sesame snaps, and a drink.
I usually have also a small pen knife, water purification tablets, and a lighter , for some insane reason. ( have needed the knife once or twice, but never the tablets)
Although mostly this was geared towards waiting for a bus in the rain after a shopping trip.
Of course for the past year, I have also carried a spare cotton mask aswell as a spare medical one, and medical gloves. + handgel and wet wipes.
I never realised I was quite so prepared!

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst
Midgets sunk the German Battleship Tirpitz
i thought she was only damaged during a midget attack and later capsized from a hit by a "tall boy"?!

about 9years ago i rescued a puppy from ending in a soup pot (like two of her siblings...) -- she didn't mind me calling her "midget" because that was her name... ( "horizontally challenged" might be a politically more correct phrase but it's a silly name for a dog :p )

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
It's one of the odder survival kits I have come across to be sure especially with the inclusion of regular soap and very much a product of its time. The days when atomic fallout just washed off and the Army were ready to incinerate any giant mutant ants with flamethrowers.

I've said before about a mother's handbag being the benchmark by which all survival kits should be measured, however since we left home her priorities have shifted. current contents:

Face mask, Cell phone, purse, car keys, 1/2 liter bottle of Prosecco, two plastic cups

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
But how can we now reach a bomb proof shelter without plastic bags to cover the feet?
Imagine one is shopping in town, the town gets pulverised and no plastic bags are available!

Obviously it's the best to wear a properly rubberised military surplus ABC suit with gas mask if we go to town. It surely helps against the virus and potential nuclear attacks on top.

It doesn't seem as if someone would like to attack us, but you never know, and it's surely no fault to wear such a rubber suit just in case.

Here we can get a pretty cheap Danish one in a nice field grey colour.

And the same seller offers a Russian old school mask that matches well.
I have to admit that it looks pretty cool.

Like this we nearly look like the Tirpitz, by the way, especially if sleeping on a bench.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
But how can we now reach a bomb proof shelter without plastic bags to cover the feet?
Imagine one is shopping in town, the town gets pulverised and no plastic bags are available!

Obviously it's the best to wear a properly rubberised military surplus ABC suit with gas mask if we go to town. It surely helps against the virus and potential nuclear attacks on top.

It doesn't seem as if someone would like to attack us, but you never know, and it's surely no fault to wear such a rubber suit just in case.

Here we can get a pretty cheap Danish one in a nice field grey colour.

And the same seller offers a Russian old school mask that matches well.
I have to admit that it looks pretty cool.

Like this we nearly look like the Tirpitz, by the way, especially if sleeping on a bench.

I am obviously going to have to upgrade my handbag bus stop survival kit!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I should have got closer. Now you've posted the answer, I vaguely remember this from the time. The early 60s were a time of uncertainty and my interest in survival as opposed to just bushcraft came in handy during events such as the Cuban Missile Crisis. Some people just took the view that we'll all go together when we go, but I was into options for survival. It was then that I started carrying a grab bag: a habit which I retain.

The bizarre thing is that now we really are in the midst of an existential crisis, my grab and go gear is superfluous. All I need is at home, where I have to stay. Bug in, not bug out!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I should have got closer. Now you've posted the answer, I vaguely remember this from the time. The early 60s were a time of uncertainty and my interest in survival as opposed to just bushcraft came in handy during events such as the Cuban Missile Crisis. Some people just took the view that we'll all go together when we go, but I was into options for survival. It was then that I started carrying a grab bag: a habit which I retain.

The bizarre thing is that now we really are in the midst of an existential crisis, my grab and go gear is superfluous. All I need is at home, where I have to stay. Bug in, not bug out!

Currently we seem to live in a 'Bird Box' groundhog day.

Reactions: Woody girl

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think if one is interested in survival and rucksacks the idea of a bug out bag comes along pretty soon in the internet.

Of course the couvernments also recommend to pack important documents into a day pack together with some rain gear and chocolate bars.

But I think all serious European crises prevention recommendations go into direction tins for two weeks in the basement.
The last what I would do in a "usual" disaster would be to leave my home!

OK, I would probably leave it if the apartment under me would emit an unusual amount of smoke, and probably would take my bushcraft stuff with me...

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
In a city in an apartment house at -25C you have about 24h after the electricity and heat are cut of by somebody bombing (one way or an another) the powerplants. After that everything in the house freezes and all plumbing not emptied (not a very simple procedure in some cases) breaks itself. Have fun. Or get to your cottage as fast as possible (that is often not so dependent on electricity).

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I see. You are right!
My last apartments still had cole stoves and we have water pumps in the streets in Berlin. But the cottage is probably really the better choice in such a situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE