Survival is all about a good cup of tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
An interesting idea but one I think has considerable merit.

There are at least two ways of being lost
- you don't know where you are (not really that uncommon or dangerous)
- you don't know where you are and don't know how to get to a familiar place (basically a total disorientation or a serious goof with the map) not a fun situation, been there and done that and I did not even have tea with me.

On top of Janne's comments on coffee, in Finland the "boiled" coffee is a rough grind and light roast. Coffee is put into boiling water, not boiled for long. Once coffee is added the pot is taken of the heat, some people even add a small amount of cold water to stop boiling, wait a while and drink.

Reactions: gibson 175

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
Thanks to this forum I now pass on this advice to my Cubs and Scouts and it has paid off.
A couple of times they have got lost and remembered to stop and use the opportunity to have a break and reassess things.
Also the advice of not to walk yourself further into danger but back track to the point where you were last confident you knew where you were.
Chalkflint

Reactions: santaman2000

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
LOL just readiung through some of this and it is so true , my dad was a 8ugger when i was younger he would leads us on so call pub walks on holiday yup you guessed it the pub was a 5 mile hike lol but we fell for it every time the family us to moan , now to the funny he would wizz off at duble time army speed get ahead hide and pull stunts on us like climbing up a 50ft pine with pockets full of pine cones and being on the blindside was throwing them as we walked down the track lol hitting us to us all going them B squirrels are aiming at us lol then we saw him .
He also once told me if i was to go in the woods alone and get lost stop check what you have on you and if it is a sweet sit down eat the sweet and think of what went wrong to end you there , of if i hada can of drink sit down sip it and wait to see if anyone comes along that you can then follow back to the carpark or safety " BUT ON NO ACCOUNT ONCE LOST KEEP PUSHING ON " funny because many years later we were watching the TV about the army unit on training in borneo that went in the jungle and got lost and kept pushing on that had they stayed where they were would have been found weeks earlier .

I love the idea of a brew kit but then we never leave home without one lol , "THE TRUE BRITISH SPIRIT IS WE MIGHT ALL BE GOING TO DIE BUT LET'S HAVE A BREW"

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I possess a Sadler Brown Betty, well, three. This one has the message ‘ delivered by the RN’
Commonwealth merchantmen
We’re bringing these to the US east coast to raise relief funds , and return with FDRs lend lease until the. Joseph Kennedy’s and Charles Lindbergs of isolationism went silent.
When I’ve had a bad spell ( I can wake up at night with one) that pot gets used for a cuppa brewed to my great grandmother’s dictums.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I can so relate to this.
The only time I've ever felt really cold and uncomfortable when stuck out in the snow were the times I didn't have any way of melting snow for a drink, mainly due to me staying too long in the pub before heading out to my back country camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE