Surprise on a Jungle River

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can expect anything in the jungle from finding an abandoned temple to meeting someone from your hometown but I never expected this.

On the way back from a trip I did a double take when I saw this.

PA160622.jpg

Out of the movie Fitzcarraldo or the pages of Huckleberry Finn.

PA160617.jpg

PA160620SideWheeler.jpg

So I just had to go and take a look.

PA160623Sidewheeler.jpg

PA160627Sidewheeler.jpg

The owner was sleeping on his houseboat and his delightful daughter who was doing her homework (no pics) let me look around. To my surprise there were 2 large rowing boats of the sort I’d associate with a man o’war rather than a jungle river. There are six rowlocks. The gunnels are about 4" thick.

PA160624rowingboat.jpg

PA160625.jpg

Any paddle steamer experts who can tell us anything about the side-wheeler?

And any comments about the type of rowing boat? Is it a ship’s boat, some kind of jolly boat or long boat??

Last edited:

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Clinker built , 6 oar small boats do indeed look like Jolly Boats strait out of the age of sail LOL , smallest boat on a man o war (apart from the captains Gig) and used for all applications afloat :) Look like they just been finished being used to film "Hornblower" :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are clinker built ships lifeboats.
The kind found on the big ocean liners kind of things.
Those were not cheap boats that have somehow ended up a jungle river :D
Were their keels stepped to take a wee mast ?

Isn't it amazing the things we come across ?

They should have the ships name across their transoms.......did you get a look ?
They would originally been launched from daviots swung our over the side of the ship.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe, maybe......but shallow river......and the paddlesteamer next to them suggests that.
No thole pins in the gunnels, but those look almost like hawser channels along the sides.

Surprising no mast, especially with the long tillers.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE