surplus sleep system advice, please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on a surplus sleeping bag and was hoping you all could help.

I've been looking at too many sleeping bags, from too many countries and too many websites and ebay listings, and would like a recommendation. I'll be trying tarp camping for the first time, after 30 years of 4-wheel drive camping back in the States. My gear is all back there, so I figured that I would pick up a DD Tarp 4x4 and a surplus bag, and try out primitive camping, perhaps at one of the Suffolk or Cambridgeshire meets. But I need a bag,

My sense is that I'll get wet, so is are any of the surplus bags better suited to wet weather than others, or must I get a bivy bag to stay dry (even under a tarp?) Is there any reason to think that a particular country's bags are more water resistant than others?

I'm a big guy, 5'8' 200lbs and don't like mummy bags. I see some British bags listed as Large, but they are typically on ebay, and I don't really trust strangers to tell me that the bag is in good condition. I'd rather deal with a surplus vendor that the forum likes, with a good reputation for selling solid gear. Can anyone recommend a vendor?

The British bags I see are either older down bags, or newer poly-filled bags. Have I got that right? Are these the only two versions? Does anyone find that the older down bags have pointy feathers that stick through and scratch?

I also see liners and bivys, some goretex (which I typically like if I can afford it.) Having never camped outside a tent before, I figure that dealing with cold and wet is the norm in the UK. Should I consider a bivy? If I get a bivy, would a summer-weight bag work well, assuming that I'm wearing some wool when I climb in? Nothing is worse than a hot, sweaty sleep. An arctic bag in a bivy with some clothes on sounds like a sweat-box to me. That's not good.

For price, I suppose that I wouldn't mind spending under £30 for a bag. I can afford a mistake at that price.

any ideas?

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
As you have had lots of views with no advice yet I thought I start the ball rolling, for sleeping under a basha in this country I reccomend the following.

A good insulating mat which could be a self inflating or foam type, choice is yours but personally I would go for self inflating as they pack away smalller and generally give a better insulation value.
A Gortex bivvi bag, the military issue ones are more tham good enough and are cut quite large you have a choice of plain green,DPM or MTP depending on your budget but spec's wise they are all pretty much the same,
also try and get one that your insulatuion mat will fit inside with you then you cannot roll of it in the middle of the night and wake up cold.

Sleeping bags I would get a 3 season as a minimum as even in summer the tempreture can drop to low single figures over night and you can always get a thermal liner to add for light winter use.
If you have not tried any british army issue bags I would find a local army surplus and go and try a few for size, the old 58 pattern feather bags are cut quite small unless you can find a large on which are rare or one of the artic issue ones which are larger but even rarer also remember the newest ones will be at least 25 years old now so the filling will be a bit tired.
The later ones are all synthetic filled and are larger in body size but bulkier to carry, this would be my choice.

with your price range you dont have a lot of choice really but once you have tried a few then look on ebay for a bargin or try Endicotts in Exeter they have a good reputation on the forum.

Also get yourself a second basha to place under your overhead basha to lay every thing on, it will help to keep every thing clean when the ground is soft or muddy.

Hope this helps.

Patrols

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Have a look at the us army modular sleep systems, you get a gortex bivvy, winter and summer bags, which can all be used on there own or in any combination when all 3 are used together are rated to -45 . The sleeping bags are synthetic filled, only down side is they are big and heavy but for less than £100 you will be hard pressed to find similar performance cheaper.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The biggest problem I found was that all the good stuff that was fairly priced was no good for fat blokes and if you are tall as well then you are even more limited. I managed in the end to get one high quality Norwegian thing but truth be told it is a bit short. What I have ended up defaulting to is a not very cool sounding flannel lined rectangular xl sized bag from Tesco which was on sale reduced from £20 down to £5 I add to that an XL fleece liner and pop it into a British army Goretex bivvy bag. That set up takes me down to as low a temperature as I am interested in staying out at night in. It is of course a bit bulky though.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
200lbs. Ha you lightweight. I'm 5'10" and 252lbs.

Are you going to be walking far with your kit?
Do you need lightweight kit?
Do you sleep warm or cold?

Answer these and then we can look at options.

Last edited:

Seabass

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2012
Borders, Scotland
I'm interested in this too. I've looked on places like military mart but still confused about the options. Someone told me a British Army Arctic bag was good but can't seem to find what this relates to?

I'm 6'2" and about 17 stone so the larger in all dimension options would interest me. Oh and out in Scotland late Autumn ish then again early Spring in terms of temps.

Cheers
James

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The arctic bag is gonna be way over the top pretty soon but for the cooler months they are brill but heavy.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Under tarp, in hammock, I use a British Army thermal mat and a snugpak SF bivi bag. Depending how cold it is it's anything from a Marmot Lithium 900 fill down bag to a cheap Outwell brand synthetic bag from Costco. Thats seem me right from -15ºC to 15ºC.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For cooler camps the Army Arctic bag takes some beating for what they cost, @£30, get the 'Long'. Synthetic filling suits the damp UK climate and combined with an Army Gortex bivvy bag you'll stay toastie warm under a tarp. Bag and bivvy bag will cost you less than £60 if you shop around.

Then if you decide tarp camping is for you you can upgrade if you feel the need as your funds improve. Without a doubt you'll need a Goretex bag for tarp camping. Even in summer a damp dew filled morning is common enough in the UK.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I used to use a polywarm industries ex army arctic bag, but the size and weight of the thing is what put me over to a down bag.Warm and tough indeed, but compressed to the size and weight of a small volkswagon. Not fun.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The options though for tarp camping is moisture, using a down bag really is not a great idea as it will absorb moisture and you'll get colder after a couple of nights unless you can dry the bag off. Not so much of an issue if you use a tent though.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
well.. I ordered a large British arctic bag and a surplus goretex vivi. All in: £70. It was all listed as grade 1.

Now that i'm really gearing up, I need to get out in the woods. I haven't been outside in front of a fire in close to 5 years and it's doing my head in. But I live in Luton without a car, so getting to a Suffolk or Cambridge event is now my big challenge. :)

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE