Surplus Finnish Defence Forces' Fabric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I might have a change of obtaining a roll of mint surplus Finnish Defence Forces' twill fabric from the 1980s. The roll would be around 1.5 m in width and 30-40 meters long. The fabric colour is most likely olive/foliage green or steel grey in worst case scenario and is most probably 40 % cotton and 60 % nailon/polyester or other way around, i.e the same fabric used by many armed forces and Antarctic expeditions during the past decades. The weight is either 230 or 330 g/m² (7-10 oz/yd²). The fabric was manufactured by a famous and reliable Finnish company Finlayson OY which still makes fashion fabrics in Finland. The fabric was used to make certain tent parts, wind- and waterproof clothing etc. According to laboratory tests, it's waterproof in clothing for many hours in medium rain but it some water might penetrate it if enough pressure is put on it (e.g. when used as groundsheets).

I calculated that smaller pieces, such as a 1.5 by 2.0 meters, would cost around 12 € or £10 (including shipment to Europe / U.K). Again 1.5 by 1.5 meters would be 8 € or £6.5 including shipment. Larger pieces more than 2 meters long would probably be too thick to fit to the limits of a envelope size (30 mm). 1.5 by 3.0 meters would then cost 24 € or £19, i.e. £6 per meter. Further meters above 3 meters would be extra £5-6 per meter.

I would require around 10 meters for my own purposes but the rest of the roll, i.e. 20-30 meters, would be for anyone who is interested. I will not take actual orders at this point but I am scouting for interest. I will find out only on 6 October if the deal can be made. Post a message with the amount of fabric in meters you would be interested of buying.

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi Martti, I would be interested in a 4 x 1.5 piece.
Thanks for the offer.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I was unabled to close the deal due of the fact that the roll would have been around 50-60 meters long and thus more expensive than I had expected. Since there was only interest for 10 meters or so, I would have been left with much more fabric that I would have needed. Sorry guys!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Never mind Martti, it's saved me getting the sewing machine out again for now.
I'll see if the local surplus place has any left.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I am again scouting for interest to buy some surplus fabric from the depot of the Finnish Defence Forces. The sale is going on during the next few days, so please state your interest as soon as possible. The type and the price per meter (i.e. £3-5 after shipping) of fabric has not changed since my original posting, most likely the rolls on sale are to be cotton/nylon/polyester blend in shades of grey, green or three-colour camouflage.

In order to get my own back, I will need buyers for at least 10-15 meters of fabric. After that, I can get rid of the rest of the roll for a very nominal price covering only the shipping (i.e. £1-2 per meter).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE