Super Dad wanting tips to teach his kids.

anthonybold

Oct 14, 2024
London
Hello fellow Preppers & Bushwhackers, my name is Anthony from "that there London"
I'm delighted to join BCUK today, having been down this familiar rabbit hole of fearing stuff hitting the fan and bushcraft, especially being outdoors building stuff with my kids.
I'm interested in learning more, being a better super-dad, and keeping my kids off devices, teaching them real useful skills.
Anyone have good stuff to teach pre-teens let me knw
Thanks
Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Do you have a garden?
A sleep outdoors with or without a tent has been a big one for my family; children and grandchildren. (Not all have taken to it and most in-laws are against!).

If you have a fire pit, bowl or a bucket with some hatchet holes in it, then teaching lighting a fire and making s’mores and hot chocolate is another lead in.

Then if you think that they are ready: a bit of whittling. Not making anything, just working a stick to start with. You can do a lot with a supermarket paring knife or a basic penknife.

Oh and rope.
Three stand cotton, jute or hemp is easiest. Nylon can be tricky till you learn to whip the strands. Just the basic knots. In real life I get away with about four knots, three splices and a whipping. Don’t sweat the splices.

If you do a fire then a song and a yarn won’t go amiss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Welcome - Have messaged you.
Hello fellow Preppers & Bushwhackers, my name is Anthony from "that there London"
I'm delighted to join BCUK today, having been down this familiar rabbit hole of fearing stuff hitting the fan and bushcraft, especially being outdoors building stuff with my kids.
I'm interested in learning more, being a better super-dad, and keeping my kids off devices, teaching them real useful skills.
Anyone have good stuff to teach pre-teens let me knw
Thanks
Ant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE