Super Cat fuel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I recently made a Super Cat stove and yesterday bought some Barbeque Lighter Fluid to fuel it. However when I went to light it the match just burned brighter when I placed it in the fluid but it wouldn't actually ignite it.

What fluid would be best for the super cat and where can I buy it?

Thanks.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm pretty sure you should be using methylated spirits!!! Is it the home made stove? Made from an old tin can? If so, don't use petroleum based stuff in it, you'll take your face off!!

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Ok thanks. Not sure what the BBQ lighter fluid has in it but it didn't burn very well. Don't worry I had the stove placed in the BBQ when I tested it and I used a long match. :D

Yeah the Super Cat stove is made out of a small tin of cat food with holes pierced into it.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
What spamel said. Methylated Spirits is all that should be used in any home made alcohol stove or spirit stove as they're sometimes called.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I take it I can buy this from hardware stores, because I don't think my local supermarkets stock it.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
I've seen meths in camping shops. But hardware stores sell meths aswell. I think motor shops will sell it aswell, but i could be wrong.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
at a push use cheap vodka![/QUOTE]

My Trangia once cooked my tea fuelled by some rather cheap (Cheaper than meths....) Metaxa brandy :rolleyes:

Simon

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
bbq lighter fluid is a type of parrafin so needs a wick or something. same with white spirit.

meths is the standard stuff purple so you cant drink it or white if you get it from the chemist buts its not cheap. hunt around for the cheapest stuff as prices do vary considerably - I used to get 500ml bottles from a hardware shop for 69p when it was £1.99 at B&Q or any camping shop. wilkinsons isn't too bad but if you come south to devon and cornwall then trago mills are tops at 8 quid for 5 litres

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
thats pretty good I tried the local chemist and it cost 8 quid a litre - I got it anyway as I wanted to check it out - I didn't find enough of a difference to merit the change as I get 10l every time I go to trago (every other year normally) :)

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
crazydave said:
bbq lighter fluid is a type of parrafin so needs a wick or something. same with white spirit.

meths is the standard stuff purple so you cant drink it or white if you get it from the chemist buts its not cheap. hunt around for the cheapest stuff as prices do vary considerably - I used to get 500ml bottles from a hardware shop for 69p when it was £1.99 at B&Q or any camping shop. wilkinsons isn't too bad but if you come south to devon and cornwall then trago mills are tops at 8 quid for 5 litres

I managed to get some Meths from a hardware store, £2.33 for 500ml! But then again everything in London is always more expensive. :rolleyes:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i buy my meths for my trangia from my local village shop 500ml for £1.89
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE