Sundays car boot find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Here's what I got from the car boot sale on Sunday..

IMGP1985.jpgIMGP1986.jpgIMGP1988.jpg For the bargain sum of £5 :):approve:

This website dates it at 1920, crikey !

www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers/single-letter

Now it's just a case of figuring out how to load it with thread:rolleyes: Hopefully nothing is missing, I thought it was worth a punt for a fiver.

It weighs a ton !

Can anyone recommend something to clean the wooden case with? It's got sellotape residue and general grime.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Here's what I got from the car boot sale on Sunday..

I won't tell the wife, she'd be sooooooo jealous! Cracking find!

Can anyone recommend something to clean the wooden case with? It's got sellotape residue and general grime.

Whatever you use, try it on a small out-of-sight section first. I'd suggest meths as being fairly mild, but I don't know how well it will work on Sellotape glue residue. Lighter fluid would be my first choice if it weren't for the fact that I'd worry it might damage the varnish. White spirit will work but again I'd worry about the varnish. If you work quickly and clean any liquid off straight away you might be able to clean the glue off before the fluid attacks it.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
At work we use furniture polish to remove sticky labels etc, spray on, leave to soak and then push the stickers off with a rag, might be worth a try, but like ged said, try on a small area first! :)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Butter works well to remove sticky labels on Jam jars ! Never tried it on varnish. Just rub it on with a cloth, and because it is not a solvent or abrasive it should not damage the varnish. But as someone has already said try it on a small section first. I have used meths to clean old laquer from stair spindles before, and that takes it back to the wood.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
We bought a treadle powered one, complete with table and iron work for the princely sum of £20 a while back. If they're pre 1900 they can be worth some serious money, the post Victorian ones though don't seem to fetch such a premium.

Ours is a 1904 vintage one and needed a bit of a dust and clean and some light machine oil to be in perfect working order - it even has the original leather belt to drive it from the treadle!

Go carefully with cleaning it as some have a shellac finish which water will work on but oils (including butter) will ruin. There's a site you can download the original manuals from - I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE