Sunday's Bark Workshop at Chopwell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well what can I say?
Fantastic weather, brilliant group of folk, flat batteries for my camera!:aargh4:
proper preparation & planning etc:rolleyes:
I'll hang on posting a full report for now, at least until we get some more pictures sorted out but suffice to say; another very enjoyable, if somewhat knackering day.
quite a few disappointed folk missed the boat this time, as the workshop was fully booked several weeks ago.
Many thanks to both Ken Jackson and Eric Methven, without your help and input, our bushcraft events would be a damn sight more difficult to run and much less interesting;)

Thanks also to Dunelm who kindly offered to drop Eric off, on his way home:)
watch your pm's I'm sorting out a date for a wander shortly ( Ray Mears meets Last of The Summer Wine!:D )
For now:
This was "the Gang"
P6080001copyresizeda.jpg

this was Eric harvesting an ash sapling for it's bark. He deliberately cut it high to keep the "L" shaped bit for an adze handle:cool:
P6080003copyresizedb.jpg

and this is yours truly, making a spud from one of the higher branches of the same tree,
with my trusty BG Bushcrafter;) This knife is proving to be an excellent tool.
Bark-container008copy.jpg

The peeled timber left behind, will either be used for charcoal, firewood or a selection of "things" made by me, Eric, Ken or whoever. Eric's got an adze handle and some long bows, Ken's making a digging stick or two and i'm in the market for some paddle material:D

So, sorry for the lack of a full report but the way the camera's were flashing during the day, It'll be a big un when we do get sorted out:slap:

Cheers
R.B.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Had a great day yet again. Big thanks to you guys and everybody for making the day. RB it may be worth charging your spare batteries next time : ) and hopefully i'll be able to find some spruce root longer than a foot lol

rancid badger

Had a great day yet again. Big thanks to you guys and everybody for making the day. RB it may be worth charging your spare batteries next time : ) and hopefully i'll be able to find some spruce root longer than a foot lol

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you can pass on the knowledge;) If you need spruce root, let me know:cool:

Your invited to have a wander around with us old wobblies as well by the way, I'll let you know when it is, asap

if you've got pictures, feel free to add to the thread;)

Now then, we need to find an old tin bath, some silver cross pram wheels and one of nora batties old laplander saws.........

:D
R.B.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Looking forward to this, I have never used ash bark, how does it compare say to cedar? I would imagine it would be more brittle but the pics you posted before of containers looked great. How easy is it to peel? Ok when the sap is rising?

rancid badger

Looking forward to this, I have never used ash bark, how does it compare say to cedar? I would imagine it would be more brittle but the pics you posted before of containers looked great. How easy is it to peel? Ok when the sap is rising?

I've never used cedar bark:bluThinki
The best all rounder is Wych Elm bark, this is very flexible and also extremely strong. The other thing with this bark, is that you can peel the fibrous, inner bark away form the outer and use that to sew the thing together. Not as easily as using conifer root however, with roots you can form your own needle point on the end of the root, to help you push it through the holes you have made with your awl.

the bark peels ok with the help of a few, field improvised, tools:cool: you can only peel it easily from about early April to July, at least in my experience.
R.B.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Looks like a few good bows in that piece of wood. You're lucky to have access to such woodland, hope we can see the finished articles soon, and maybe some bows when the staves are sorted out and seasoned.

rancid badger

Thank's to Mark Wood for the following series of photo's from our workshop:You_Rock_

joining on from more or less where we left off:
I made a simple, chisel shaped tool,called a spud to help peel off the bark;
Bark-container009copy.jpg

then I cut along the length of the sapling, into the wood itself;
Bark-container011copy.jpg

finishing off with a cut all the way round the trunk, once I had decided how big a sheet of bark I wanted. Again, Bernie Garlands bushcrafter's blade shape comes into play, allowing a very snug, safe cut around the pole with little risk of slippage;
Bark-container012copy.jpg

Next, I eased the bark away from the wood with tip of the knife and then inserted the spud, pushing it gently along the length of my first cut;
Bark-container014copy.jpg

once the bark is peeling nicely, you can get your fingers in and eventually; your hands;
Bark-container017copy.jpg

After a bit of a struggle with a few knotty bits, the bark started to come away easily;
Bark-container019copy.jpg

So that was me demonstrating how to strip the bark, then it was our students turn;)
I'll leave it here for now and post some more later. there may be enough photo's to put together a proper tutorial if anyone's interested.
Oh, by the way, it was verywarm work:D
Cheers for now
R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've stuck a separate post up on the DIY and Traditional Crafts section as there are 37 photos in it. As Steve says above, we might have enough photos to make a proper tutorial. I made it separate so's not to swamp this thread with so many images people on dial-up will still be waiting at Christmas for it all to load.

Eric

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Its good to see photos of what was a very enjoyable and useful day. I've
never been to Chopwell Woods before and the brief time we spent out on
Sunday didn't do the place justice so I think I'll be back soonish for
another look round.

I enjoyed the good mix of ages, experience and genders on the course -
sometimes bushcraft courses can be too male dominated with a sprinkling of
weekend Rambo's but there were no such difficulties here, it was very
pleasant with a friendly, co-operative atmosphere.

It was the first time I've worked with ash bark although I have felled ash
for bow staves. It's like any craft - you learn more from your mistakes
than your successes and once the basic techniques are demonstrated and you
get a feel for the material you can start to elaborate. My first container
was too long and narrow (almost like a bog roll tube! :) ) because I didn't
score the "eye" wide enough. It's these little mistakes that are priceless
and really benefit you in the long run.

It's a shame there are no more adult courses planned for 2007 - hopefully
2008 will see this programme continue and grow. It was a pleasure to meet
people, put faces to names and to share skills in such a great place.

rancid badger

I knew you meant 2009;)
Well, as far as events go for next year.... to be honest, I'm wondering whether there is much future for these type of events at Chopwell.

I have been approached by the FC regarding events for next year but there will have to be some fundamental changes of attitude on the part of both; FC and FoCW.

It's time for FC and FoCW, to stop calling what we do "den building" and "survival" and get with the program:D

We'll just have to see!:beerchug:
R.B.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE