Summer Of Birds And Animals

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Bald Eagle Nest

Here's a bald eagle nest I spotted from the lake one day by boat. It's kind of hard to see but the nest is in about the centre of the pic, the dark spot near the tree tops
eaglenest.jpg

I put in to shore and climbed the hill to the nest, getting this view
eaglenest7.jpg

Higher up the hill
eaglenest8.jpg

Climbing higher yet I find the remnants of an old nest that has fallen. I suspect a supporting branch broke, causing the nest to come tumbling down. This is a big jack pine for this area, very old as trees grow very slowly here. It's not the first eagle nest I've seen on the ground in this area.It's a very large pile of branches.
falleneaglenest3.jpg

Here's the tree and nest from a distance
falleneaglenest6.jpg

Hard Times For Beavers

This is tough country for any animal, but I really pity the beavers that had to eat jack pine to survive. Since the sign is old, they've either died out or moved on.
beaversign5.jpg

There's no fresh sign anywhere. I think they finally thought enough is enough and just couldn't take it anymore
beaversign6.jpg

beaversign4.jpg

Poplar (aspen) country is far to the south, a favourite of beavers. Here there's some birch and alders but not a lot, and it's quite scattered. Not good beaver country.

The Red Squirrel

This is the land of the jack pine, vast forests of it, so naturally the red squirrel is right at home. There must be millions of them as they're everywhere
squirrel-1.jpg

Some of their middens are huge
hugemidden.jpg

hugemidden3.jpg

hugemidden2.jpg

The one above looks little used now but many show lots of current use, like this one below. Here we see a lot of spruce cones and a few pine cones as well
midden.jpg

This guy seems to prefer pine cones
squirrelmidden2-1.jpg

And one more. This guy has an assortment, both spruce and pine cones
middenwithfreshcones.jpg

They have trails, or runs, between trees
squirreltrail2.jpg

squirreltrail-1.jpg

A merganser

I came upon this baby merganser. Ordinarily I would have left it alone. It had just left the nest and gotten separated from it's siblings. My dog would have killed it so I picked it up. It's not happy about it but after I put it back in the lake it was fine
merganser2.jpg

merganser.jpg

Assisted photos obviously! as I only have two hands.

Dead Bald Eagle

On one of my forays I discovered this dead bald eagle. I have no idea as to the cause of death. Natural I suppose, as there aren't any people around to have shot it. Nor would anyone from here do such a thing had they been here.
deadeagle2.jpg

Out one day in a Beaver

IMG_0998.jpg

View of the area from the Beaver
IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

We spot a lone caribou almost reaching an island on a large lake. They swim from island to island, sometimes for long distances, as do moose and bears.
IMG_1087.jpg

Northern Hawk Owl

A baby Northern Hawk Owl, not long out of the nest
IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Great photography bb. Well done. If you're looking for beavers I think we have a few extras down here we could spare....:rolleyes:

Love the owl pic, btw.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE