Suggestions on a lightweight cook set?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I can highly recommend the Etapower series, I have the the Etapot 1.6l. But its worth noting that the heat exchanger type pans are exceptional at heating water quickly but they don't do simmering or actual cooking well at all. If your looking at re-hydrating or heating up MRE then great. If you want to cook up some bacon and eggs think again :).

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Have got the Crux Terra and love it to pieces :cool: stupidly quick and stupidly compact [stove and gas are stored in the cookset - you can even fit in a (folding) spork....just not a pink one(!)], only annoyance i find is that the pot handles don't lock together when extended, nor do they lock closed, the pan handle however, does.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
DIY - IMUSA 10cm Mug, pop can stove, hardware cloth stand, al foil windscreen, double pot cosy, 4 fl oz flip top plastic bottle. cost $5 or less, weight under 250 grams, everything fits in the pot, and pot cosym surrounds.. Boils 480 ml water at 20deg in 4 to 5 minutes and takes far less than a litre in ones pack, Great for brews and dehydrated meals.

Last edited:

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
DIY - IMUSA 10cm Mug, pop can stove, hardware cloth stand, al foil windscreen, double pot cosy, 4 fl oz flip top plastic bottle. cost $5 or less, weight under 250 grams, everything fits in the pot, and pot cosym surrounds.. Boils 480 ml water at 20deg in 4 to 5 minutes and takes far less than a litre in ones pack, Great for brews and dehydrated meals.

Any chance of a picture? Sounds good

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
"Any chance of a picture? Sounds good"
I gave the set away, so have to make a new one for myself.
The 12 gram stove is taken from the following video'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5u-GmutJns

The outdoor station shows how to make pot cosies and windscreens that wokl really well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkQA0_duIHE&list=UUGdXKgAS4MDFHO-O71E8C9g&index=5

Search minibull design channel videoa for IMUSA pot to see pots and hardware cloth stands.

I claim no originality in my systems. There are such good guides on youtube.

The IMUSA pots go for under $2 at Walmart. They are soft, non hardened Al, which is fine for boiling water.
You can find suitable sized Al and SS containers at thrift stores for 1$ or so and build the system around that. ps, I bring a plastic cup for my coffee/tea, or brew it in the mug if not used for the meal.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
"Any chance of a picture? Sounds good"
I gave the set away, so have to make a new one for myself.
The 12 gram stove is taken from the following video'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5u-GmutJns

The outdoor station shows how to make pot cosies and windscreens that wokl really well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkQA0_duIHE&list=UUGdXKgAS4MDFHO-O71E8C9g&index=5

Search minibull design channel videoa for IMUSA pot to see pots and hardware cloth stands.

I claim no originality in my systems. There are such good guides on youtube.

The IMUSA pots go for under $2 at Walmart. They are soft, non hardened Al, which is fine for boiling water.
You can find suitable sized Al and SS containers at thrift stores for 1$ or so and build the system around that. ps, I bring a plastic cup for my coffee/tea, or brew it in the mug if not used for the meal.

Last IMUSA pots I got inWalmart cost $6.95 earlier this year! Nice bit of kit for the price though - handle needs wrapping (or cutting off) though.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have the Optimus Crux Solo Cookset (looks the same as the one in your last link ) and I really rate it! I think the heat exchanger makes a real difference in boiling times, but I've not bothered to time it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My goto lightweight set for multi day trips ..

MBD Mini Atomic stove - 20g
Bushbuddy Ultra - 139g
Terra Nova 900ml ti pot & lid - 100g
4oz meths in bottle - 121g

Total = 380g

Or I pack my Jetboil Sol Ti for dehydrated meals on longer trips

Jetboil - 240g
100g gas cart - 198g

Total = 438g

I'm always messing with cook kits though, got far too many options to list

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I do my sets on the cheap. My favourite at the mo is the 1-2 person version of this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOENIX-H...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b14c05c I have that one as well but found it too big for solo use. He doesn't have the 1-2 listed at the mo but mine was £17 delivered. I've had loads of stuff from the seller over the last few years without any problems.

The heat exchanger really works well and improves both gas and meths burners. My fav set up with it is a MSR pocket rocket (or clone of), the pot and a thick ali foil windshield. That all fits inside the pot with a 225g (size) gas cartridge (perfect fit). Boil times are hovering at about 3 minutes. I store the whole thing in a home made pot cosy.

I like my drinks hot and drink them straight away whilst hot, so I use the domed lid as a cup (250ml ish) but you couldn't leave it to one side and come back to it 5 mins later as the drink would be cold.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Primus Litech kettle
Home made meths burner (usually a dove deoderant can based side burner)
Home made windshield (made from the reflective foil/polystyrene stuff that you put behind radiators and duct tape)
Meths bottle
stainless steel bowl

total weight is approximately 350 grams

everything you could ever want to know on the subject of lightweight stoves can be found here: http://zenstoves.net/

Cheers,

Stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE