Suffolk Bushcraft Monthly Meet Friday 4th and Saturday 5th October 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Made it home a couple of hours ago.

Packed very light (and more compact) this time around. Left the 80l Bergen (and all its pouches) at home and instead used a ~35 litre rucksack.

Preparing for winter, I've decided to try something a little different with the hammock. Basically I gradually lowered the height of my pitch over the two nights and got it so that it was hovering about 3 inches above the floor... to the point that my underquilt was touching the ground. That made a pretty notable difference (especially given that last night was quite a lot chillier than Friday). I think it's a bloody good compromise for those who want to stay warmer this winter but don't want to sleep on the floor.

Anyway... enjoyed the weekend and meeting all the new faces. Was refreshing to have someone (Stephen) there who does similar hours to me (so a good - albeit hushed - conversation after the rest had turned in for the night).

Looking forward to the next one... I hear it's going to be a wood processing bonanza :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Same here I did a bit of winterisation, and trying a camp bed this year, using Blankets, and pitching with a 4x4, not much to report on this one, three new guys cam along to the meet, it was good to see Kevin, Sean and Stephen,

Along with the 3D's donated by Cromm, Kevin donated a Chainsaw and a Toilet tent, Thank you very much, The Tent saw its first use at the meet, The chainsaw was taken home by Chris for a bit of work to it, and I got to play with the 3D's hopefully more will have a go at archery soon :).

It was a quite meet, the only other thing that was done was a roof was put over the Clay oven.

DSC_0168.jpgDSC_0149.jpgDSC_0150.jpgDSC_0151.jpgDSC_0152.jpgDSC_0153.jpgDSC_0155.jpgDSC_0156.jpgDSC_0157.jpgDSC_0158.jpgDSC_0159.jpgDSC_0161.jpgDSC_0162.jpgDSC_0163.jpgDSC_0164.jpgDSC_0166.jpgDSC_0167.jpg

Just a couple of Pics

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Good pics Stu. Looks like you were lucky with the weather, how did you find sleeping on the camp bed?

Yeah it was a good weekend mate nice weather and some nice company, 10 gents in total :)...

One of the main talking points was the Xmas meal.. so I thought I better start the thread..lol... even to asking the landowner if we could have one of his turkeys from the farm, his on Holiday at the mo so will ask him on his return..:)

T used the bed roll/ blanket on the Camp bed I liked it but the dam thing was too small for me so looks like I got to get another to try.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great weekend thanks everyone.The saw has been stripped awaiting cleaning and reassembly, would have had it done today but went to get a Chinese:),

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Great weekend thanks everyone.The saw has been stripped awaiting cleaning and reassembly, would have had it done today but went to get a Chinese:),

LOL... I knew you could not wait to get your hands tinkering with it... btu I can understand the Chinese.. LOL :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Yeah it was a good weekend mate nice weather and some nice company, 10 gents in total :)...

One of the main talking points was the Xmas meal.. so I thought I better start the thread..lol... even to asking the landowner if we could have one of his turkeys from the farm, his on Holiday at the mo so will ask him on his return..:)

T used the bed roll/ blanket on the Camp bed I liked it but the dam thing was too small for me so looks like I got to get another to try.

Look out for army surplus camp beds, they tend to be wider.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camp-Tent...e-Traditional-Army-Surplus-Used-/330918668941

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Stu and all,

Many thanks for the opportunity to spend the weekend in the wood and meet all. Gained some good info, created a shopping list and learnt some.

Great banter especially all that related to cutting and chopping with little relevance to 'bushcraft'!!

Looking forward to November and meeting all again.

All the best

K

Had a great time guys this weekend! I went back to the pub with the missus and the little'n for Sunday lunch! Fantastic food! One of the best pub meals in a long time! And looking forward to his new micro brewery being online by the new year in the barn next door! 
Glad you had a good one mate! Have you got the bug again?... Time to finish those blades I think?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Good to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves... we try to be light harted and enjoy our selves in the great outdoors... and of course do a bit of that thing called Bushcraft...

See you all soon :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
zyzy4e6u.jpg
so far so good
jyhy5ypa.jpg
ha ha we saw that coming.
8umyqevu.jpg
the new cover over the oven. I decided to sleep on the ground with my recently purchased Belgian bivvy bag, I only wish I had checked the sleeping bag I brought, it was a junior and wouldn't fasten over my chest, so a chilly night was had. Must remember the 7 P's proper preparation and planning prevents **** poor performance lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Note to self let someone else try out chair; but great fun at the weekend. Saturday morning I was so comfy I didn't wake up until 10:00am. Looking forward to the next one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE