Suffolk Bushcraft Group 2 Night Monthly Meeting 4th to 6th July 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
hey everyone… I picked up a load of beeswax. At the moment I have a bunch of those 3inch long rectangular bars, and I might have a load of fresh beekeeper-fresh wax on Monday. If anyone wants any, just please let me know. It really didn't break the bank, so I don't need any cash (unless there's a bum rush and everyone wants a load of it.) Just bring an extra bit of whisky or a beer and we can call it even. :)

I've made waterproofing wax with that works great on canvas. The waterproofing wax was easy: equal parts white spirits, neetsfoot oil, and beeswax. Any other oil should do though. Melt it, mix it and Bob's your uncle. I'm also going to make a lip-balm or salve, with some combo of wax, shea butter, rapeseed oil, tee tree oil or avocado oil. I'm looking up recipes. I've also got couple of Altoid tins that want to become candles. I might make the candles while we're out in the woods. My understanding is that the archers might like it for their bowstrings. I'm certainly going to do that to bow I'm going to build.

As for the bow build… what kind of wood are we using? I have it in my head that it's bamboo. Is that right? Should we bring any linseed to treat it? And is it a two-pice thing with a handle that's duck-taped? I thought I saw a video with that setup. I've rather not use duct tape; it's just so damn ugly. Any suggestions as to what to bring, either for tools or materials?

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
List of useful tools for Bhutanese bow build/

Axe. Saw. Rasp, Coarse file.
Mark if you'd like to sell me some of your beeswax, that would be something I don't have to source.
The Bhutanese bow , is a two piece bamboo bow. Using Duct tape expeditites the build. If you want to change the jointing medium at a later date, we can discuss other options on the day.

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Mark

I would be interested in some beeswax, see you at the next meet.

I have not looked at anything around the bow making but it maybe that you can cover the duck tape so have the strength but also looks pretty.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Or leather, Nettle cordage. As said once we get the bows made, then you can decide on how you want it to look. The type of jointing material is the least part of the build.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Carl… that razor took a great edge! It's completely shave ready. You'll love it once you get used to slashing your cheeks for a few weeks. :) No problem on the wax, either. A block is yours if you bring a little whisky :)

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Thanks mark, really looking forward to our monthly meet again, I'm sure your love the shelter when you see it. Any particular brand of whisky :) if its OK stu I'll bring my ABC (airgun,bow,catapult) I'll try to remember a knockdown target for the guns. If I recall correctly we require a second hole to be made for the toilet, would you like me to bring the post hole digger ? Just a though. Atb Carl

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Carl: no Jack Daniels! I can't stand that swill. Anything else should be fine. I'll bring all the wax I've got. It's hysterical.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Bhutanese Bow Skill Share -
1.Stu
2.SeanI
3. Mark
4. Chris
5. Russell
6. Iambosscat
7. AndyW
8. Jjessup

Hi all, I'm going to close the list now. I shall order the Bamboo tomorrow, then I can let everyone know the cost. I have pre-prepared 8 strand bowstring material for you all to wax and twist your bowstrings, also knocked up a tillering gauge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE