Suffolk Boone challenge.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Great weekend with Dave and Bryan. Unfortunately I had hurt my back last week, and decided that I couldn't do the two woods part of the challenge, so Dave and I did two nights at Price. Bryan joined us on Saturday am. Dave setup his Polish Laavu half, and Czech bedroll, I used my Full Polish Laavu, using the modified setup I showed here, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=131473 and Bryan used a DD 3x3 and Czech bedroll.
On Saturday we went exploring and foraging, Sloes, Corn, Apples and Plums, we also found some mushrooms, but were not 100% certain they were edible so didn't use them. We also found a red stone, a flint perhaps, that threw a spark better than the normal black flint. We then returned to camp for a late lunch. After lunch Dave made up a batch of charcloth, we then collected firewood for the evening, mostly dead standing Hazel, but also some dry fallen Oak. My evening meal was a stew made from sweet potato, foraged sweetcorn, onion and carrot,and boiled ham, it hit the spot nicely. I also tried the egg on a skewer successfully, also drop scones and fried ham and eggs for breakfasts. It was a quiet weekend, but I enjoyed it very much. Thanks guys.

If anyone can ID the mushroom and Bracket fungus I would appreciate it. The Bracket was found 4mtrs up in the fork of an Ash above a hunters perch.
Daniel Boone Oct 15 004.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 006.jpg 12038016_10153729971844558_1445190236329635187_n.jpgDaniel Boone Oct 15 009.jpg

Daniel Boone Oct 15 015.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 013.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 014.jpg

Daniel Boone Oct 15 017.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 001.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 002.jpg

Daniel Boone Oct 15 018.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 019.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 025.jpg

Daniel Boone Oct 15 026.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 028.jpg 11218052_10153729976194558_3398576409869555176_n.jpg

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
A great weekend - thanks to Colin & Bryan. This was my second Boone Challenge and I've enjoyed them both. It's made me appreciate even more the benefit of modern insulated sleeping mats and sleeping bags; sleeping with blankets certainly looks appealing / authentic, but if you're a cold sleeper like me it's a bit challenging. The stacked log fire we made and that you can just make out in the pics above was only partially successful to be honest, and it struggled to stay alight for very long. That's probably more to do with me though.

One of the big things for me is to do with food. Before doing Boone I'd never have thought of bringing stuff like flour, suet, dried beans etc. My food load was a fraction of what is normally is though, so that's a lesson to take forward. You have to think ahead though, not least because you have to soak beans overnight plus simmer them for an hour and a half. Old school pork & beans (I used borlottis with some fried Polish sausage of some sort and a powdered stock) is really good.

Tool wise a missed a saw a bit, but made do OK with a little hatchet. Most used knife for me was a bog standard Opinel No.8 - mostly for food prep, plus my Condor Kephart for tent peg whittling.

I look forward to the next one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE