Suck the Beetle's Bum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A new trick for Bear.

A friend sent me this link and I thought it was pretty interesting since I was in the Namib only a few months ago courtesy of some the SWB boys.

There's a lovely cool breeze in the morning after a chilly night and you can feel moisture but no way to collect it til now.

"n the Namib Desert on the southwest coast of Africa, the Namib beetle has developed a slick adaptation to stay hydrated. Its wings are covered with bumps with water-repelling peaks and water-attracting valleys. When it positions itself toward fog rolling in off the Atlantic, it condenses water vapor onto its back and channels it to its mouth. Shreerang Chhatre of MIT is developing a fog-harvesting mesh material inspired by the resourceful beetle. The mesh attracts water droplets out of the air, and in field tests it has captured one liter of water per square meter per day. The fog-harvesting devices could be used to generate clean water in arid regions as well as at the tops of skyscrapers, to eliminate pumping. ❧"

At one litre for every square metre of surface the bug's onto a good supply of water.

http://asknature.org/strategy/dc2127c6d0008a6c7748e4e4474e7aa1

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE