Stuart Mitchell Bushcrafter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
As the title says really... This is to be one of the standard models in my range, my first range standard design in fact

Two sizes to choose from... 2 3/4" blade and 7 " overall... 3 1/4" blade and 8" overall.

Choice of grind, Scandi, hollow or flat... This one is 12c27 but the standard model will be 3.5mm O1.

Choice of handle materials... Timbers, not 100% which yet and Micartas, maybe three colours... Possibly not this red

Corby fixings, nickel or s/s with a lined lanyard hole to match.

DSCN3459.jpg

DSCN3461.jpg

I would appreciate your input and thoughts...

Cheers, Stu :)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Very nice mate!

Nice simple effective lines, just what a bushcrafter should have

How much they gonna be?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love the lines stu - different, handy, I especially like the smaller version - would make a great size for a necker.

One thing I would change and one I would add.

I would add some fine file lines across the spine where the thumb ramp is. That shape is begging for a thumb on top grip, but a slight change to the curve and some file lines would really enhance that.

I would also reduce the size of the ricasso (or remove it altogether). On such a short blade, I would use a chest lever a lot and the ricasso would stop me indexing the cut

A lovely and different looking design mate - well done

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Looks to be an excellent and simple (in a good way) knife. I like the red handle - you see so many knives with bright handles sold as survival knives I'm sure this would fit right in.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
British Red said:
I would add some fine file lines across the spine where the thumb ramp is. That shape is begging for a thumb on top grip, but a slight change to the curve and some file lines would really enhance that.

I would also reduce the size of the ricasso (or remove it altogether). On such a short blade, I would use a chest lever a lot and the ricasso would stop me indexing the cut
Hi Red,

I like the idea of the thumb grip along the hump... I will offer that as a option :)

Not sure whet you mean about the second point... Chest lever, please tell me more....

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd echo BRs comments about minimising the ricasso, and I'd reduce the curve of the handle scales up front to facilitate the chest lever grip.
Appologies for the poor photoshop skills.
SM.jpg

But an excellent looking knife.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
stuart m said:
Hi Red,

I like the idea of the thumb grip along the hump... I will offer that as a option :)

Not sure whet you mean about the second point... Chest lever, please tell me more....
The chest lever grip is when you hold the knife blade away from you against your chest. By expanding your chest as you cut away you get great leverage for short, powerful, controlled cuts.
2007_0409Image0006.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Merci Moomins Mate :D

That shorter ricasso looks just the puppy...

The deep grind on that hollow looks good Stuart - make an awesome small game knife!

Red

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE