Structural Ridge line

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
What is the Point of a structural ridge line. I know it allows you to have a much flatter lay. How would one attach one to a hammock.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
What is the Point of a structural ridge line. I know it allows you to have a much flatter lay. How would one attach one to a hammock.

A structural ridgeline on a hammock set the sag angle of the hammock at a constant. It means that you can dial in the most comfortable sag for your hammock and sets it at that sag. 83% of the hammock length is the standard starting point for the length of the structural ridgeline.

Some rate them as essential, some don't. I don't-I prefer to judge it by eye and save carrying unnecessary cord.

It won't give you a flatter lay any more than tieing your hammock up tighter or looser. Hope this helps :)

Edit-too slow :rolleyes:

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
the point is to limit the sag angle seen by the hammock to be effectively equal to or greater that some value - this some value is usually determined by the hammock maker (ex Hennessy) or hammock user for after market structural ridge lines. A user will typically try several lengths for the structural ridge line until the user finds one that gives the best "sweet spot" or feels the best for the diagonal lay in the hammock. Some users will use an adjustable line of some sort to make this process easier. Once the user finds the "right" length for the hammock then the line is tied onto the ends of the hammock near the suspension attachment or a loop is tied/spliced in the ridge line and is included in the knot that attaches the suspension ropes to the hammock (Hennessy does this). By having this structural ridge line the hammock suspension may be attached to the trees with much less regard for exactly what sag angle is being obtained by the suspension - the structrural ridge line will tighten up as soon as the sag angle from the suspension becomes less than the preferred sag angle thus preventing the hammock itself from being overly tight.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Oh no Its not, its really not
Just hang and work it out which I think you are actually saying
Lets try and keep things simple though
Its really very easy to hammock camp but this kind of thing just makes people worry unduly about what they should and shouldn't do.
Hammock up and secure with comfortable lay
Tarp as shelter secure and weatherproof
Job done

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE