Stropping compound.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I bought a lump of blue stropping compound from Mr Budd back at the bushmoot. I've just tried using it for the first time on my home made strop (lump of leather attached to piece of wood). Only I can't seem to get it to cover the strop the way I had expected it to. It's rather solid and my attempt rub it on the leather isn't doing anything.

Any ideas?

J

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Just rub it on like a crayon
I find the stropping action helps to spread the compound around a fair bit if it's a little uneven

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just rub it on like a crayon
I find the stropping action helps to spread the compound around a fair bit if it's a little uneven

That's what I was doing. And it hasn't worked. All I get is a couple of small streaks, Not enough to cover the whole strop, and the action of the knife actually causes some to come off.

J

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You might also try putting it in a closed container with some water on the bottom to hydrate it. Just make sure the compound is not in the water. Some compounds will dry out, especially if the wax content is low.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
strop01_sm.jpg

That's it after I've tried rubbing it on the strop.

J

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Try scraping the compound off the strop then with the spine of your knife give it a good old scrape to rough it up. This should give the compound something to bite onto.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
uploadfromtaptalk1451228216296.jpgThe light section is wherever I have scraped mine. I have to do this from time to time to remove the glazing. This is Blue Starkie compound that I got from Longstrider and one of his strops.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Did you fix the leather rough side down?

If you did then that's your problem as the stropping compound is hard to apply and lifts very easily off of the smooth side.

Try making another strop with the rough side up and you'll probably see the difference

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most bar castings of honing compounds are suspended in some sort of very hard petroleum wax. Must be warmed up (body heat) to soften for good application.
I was taught to clean a leather strop with the corner of a 6" file, GENTLY, as a rake. Roughens an overly smooth surface too.
I Use box card and office filing cards now. Always fresh & clean as I need them.

After 15 years of wood carving, that waxy stuff softened my leather strop too much so I never use it any more.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My shirt pocket, under my heavy canvas carving apron, works for the CrOx/AlOx bars that Lee Valley sells.
As noted, the heavy waxy carrier gets really hard at anything less than 25C. Predictably, it melts at 60C or so
like other waxes. Fast rubbing can sometimes create enough friction for warming. Another reason why the cardboard
and office file cards are effective strops.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I can't really add anything to what has been suggested. The compound will go on better if warm, but it's not as bad as some that I've used for that. The rough side of the leather is best and you'll find that once a bit of compound has built up through use, then it will go on much more evenly and easily.

I've tried oiling the strop with other compounds that were too dry and it helped (thin oil, but this leaves a smeared surface not the clean mirror people like). I can't say which I prefer to the action of it's working, but once oiled then the strop can't go back to dry

Don't forget though that you don't need to cover the whole thing, as long as there is some paste on the strop then it will still work ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE