Stropping compound woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
From wikipedia

Knife sharpening proceeds in several stages, in order from coarsest (most destructive) to finest (most delicate). These may be referred to either by the effector by the tool. Naming by effect, the stages are:sharpening ? removing metal to form a newedge rough sharpening (using either water stones, oil stones, or medium grits of sandpaper in the scary sharp method of sharpening) fine sharpening (using the same tools as above, but in finer grits) straightening ? straightening the existingmetal on the blade, but not removing significant quantities of metal polishing (also called stropping)? giving a mirror finish, but not significantly altering the edge. polishing may also be achieved by buffing a blade: instead of moving the knife against a flat leather strop loaded with fine abrasive, the knife is held still and a powered circular cloth wheel is moved against the knife

I was taught that a hone straightens and flatens the edge after using a stone which removes metal

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
For the purposes of providing information only ......

In MK's 'Bushcraft', page 130 he has a diagram which contains illustrations of edges produced by:

coarse stone
medium stone
fine stone
hone (and next to the illustration of a honed edge he shows a burr and says "bevel edge shines llike a mirror"

and in the text refers to stropping as a further stage.

He says both honing and stropping involve dragging the blade.

If necessary, somebody with more knowledge than me will probably be able to pick out the key points he makes.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
For the purposes of providing information only ......

In MK's 'Bushcraft', page 130 he has a diagram which contains illustrations of edges produced by:

coarse stone
medium stone
fine stone
hone (and next to the illustration of a honed edge he shows a burr and says "bevel edge shines llike a mirror"

and in the text refers to stropping as a further stage.

He says both honing and stropping involve dragging the blade.

If necessary, somebody with more knowledge than me will probably be able to pick out the key points he makes.

It was Mors that told me about this and it's the same set up i use as in the book.

BTW i assume we both have this book within reach at all times judging by the amount of times we make reference to it lol

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hi Shotgun... for the food prep I was on about the lack of stropping. The burr is left on from the Chef Steel usually used by butchers and chefs. The burr left on generally cuts meat and tomatos and similar better when it provides a bit of bite.

@ Thenihilist, my 12K still removes steel from blades, but as you point out it's obviously much slower than a lower grit stone. My point was they're all stones, I don't know where you draw the line between calling a stone a hone. When you sharpen a straight razor on a stone it's called honing. Regardless of grit they're sold as natural or manmade stones to hone on. You set a bevel on a razor at 1000 and work higher in a pyramid of various grit stones. That's all I meant. I do the same with my knives but start at 225 and go up to a max of 6000 then strop. I'd say a knife shaving hair is sharp enough for what I use it for, but can get them hair popping sharp if I desire. It's part of our OCD to get them crazy sharp really, there's no need for it, it's just fun and we can!

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
A stone and a hone probably are the same thing, we are just using different terminology probably, the thing i'm calling a hone is probably just a very fine stone.

I don't know what grit the stone i call a hone is but it can't be much higher than a DC3 as i go from that to the "Hone" and it gives far better results than going from my DC3 to the strop.

Whatever grit it is it gives that mirror polish that MK refers to which gives greater results for me.

Yeah your right we don't need to cut the space time continuum but it's fun to try lol

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Honing steel is one simple thing.... Removing metal. How you do that is irrelevant, or, personal choice!

The finer the grit, the more micro-teeth the edge has and the more proficient the cutting action is. Larger teeth fold more easily and in effect, blunt the edge. Your strop sharpens these micro teeth removing the last of the burr in the process. If its just the burr you want done with, a few wipes each side will catch and remove it. Adding cutting compound makes it the finest hone you have; and a hone still sharpens.

Don't forget, if your sharp is mirror polished (or there abouts) through stropping (now ultra micro scratches) the edge will be the same, with ultra micro teeth. I can assure you, stropping (with cutting compound) and using ultra high grit stones makes it sharper.

I have ceramic plates that are roughly 6000-8000 grit. They take the edge to hair slicing, if that's what I desire :)

Just seen that you had posted the video- thanks for taking the time and trouble to do it

You are very welcome.

chefs don't strop there blades and they get them scary sharp, the onl reason they don't strop is because that tiny burr thats removed with stropping is serrated and is better for cutting foods

I'm not sure who told you that...
I was a chef for 15 years. Pubs to Bistro's and me or any other chef I worked with simply didn't have time to strop. I probably sharpened my 20cm cooks knife 10-20 times per shift on a ceramic rod, half a dozen wipes at a time.

If its sharp enough for the job, all is well. Its great fun to get it stupid sharp though and I still have alot more to learn!

Regards, al.

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
BTW i assume we both have this book within reach at all times judging by the amount of times we make reference to it lol

At the moment - yes - as I am reading it for the first time - if I still have the mental energy I may post some views on it but no doubt that has already been done very fully already somewhere on the site.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Cool, I'm going to read this whole post for my next stropping action. And even a vid, yeey! All other vids/instructions I have followed come from straight razor sites, pretty good but still a slightly different ballgame.

Mu 2 cts: green compound is easier to apply with a little WD40.
- apply green compound
- spray a little bit of WD40 on the strop
- smear the compound with finger. It will thin out and be easier to get everywhere evenly.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Cool, I'm going to read this whole post for my next stropping action. And even a vid, yeey! All other vids/instructions I have followed come from straight razor sites, pretty good but still a slightly different ballgame.

Mu 2 cts: green compound is easier to apply with a little WD40.
- apply green compound
- spray a little bit of WD40 on the strop
- smear the compound with finger. It will thin out and be easier to get everywhere evenly.

You can also rub the strop with the palm of your hand to warm it up before and after applying the compound. Saves spraying your strop with WD 40. Razors are a different ballgame as you say but stropping is stropping, you just don't need to be as careful with knives. It's pretty straight forward to be honest, like many things you can look too deep into it. The main thing is light pressure for good results. Have fun...

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
You should see the vids.....some of those straight razor guys are close to taking their strop to bed with them.... ;-)
(Talk about a leather thong there :rolleyes: )

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You should see the vids.....some of those straight razor guys are close to taking their strop to bed with them.... ;-)
(Talk about a leather thong there :rolleyes: )

Ha ha, you're not wrong there! I'm one of those straight razor guys but my approach to that is laid back as well. I don't believe in spending thousands on strops, hones and towel warmers to get a great shave. DIY strops and minimal stones and good technique are all that's needed. Another case of looking too far into a hobby in some cases. You don't need to wear polka dot pants on a waning moon and strop your razor on the inside thigh of an Inuit women with dragon tear compound to get results! ;)

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Hmm, I'm pretty much covering it with compound. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong, like you say. Where can I pick up starkie blue? I've got some silverline blue compound, but I think as Robin said, it's buffing wheel kit.

Ok, found starkie on here
http://www.arb-tek.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1604248-Starkie-Blue-Metal-Polishing-Compound.html

*rolls eyes*

I guess it's possibly a personal thing and not an exact science?

Have amended wording on website so as to be more clear... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE